Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Prunes in Secondary/Keg?

Old 09-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
MrSnrub
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Prunes in Secondary/Keg?

I recently kegged a 9% Belgian strong dark ale. The beer is really dry and somewhat lacking in depth, and I thought adding some fruit might give it some sweetness and complexity. I put 4 oz. of finely chopped prunes into a muslin bag, soaked in boiling water, then put the bag plus the water into the keg. Has anyone tried this approach before? Does it work? Is 4 oz. in 5 gallons enough? Thanks much.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
Mountainlivin
Recipes 

I never tried it but it sounds interesting

Old 09-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I'd think you would need more like 2lbs+ to get any flavor from them. Make sure they're not sprayed with oil or preservatives. I'd be more concerned with the oil.

Prunes will probably suck up a decent amount of beer since they're dehydrated, so you'll end up with less finished product.

I've used both dried currants and dried sour cherries - 2lbs per 5 gallons with good results.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:32 AM   #4
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I'd go for figs personally. I find that sweeter fruits in higher abv beers tend to bring out cough syrup flavors. I did have success with dried figs in a porter secondary for 3 weeks though. Reconstituted them in some water then boiled it down to a syrup. It came out amazing. Just my opinion though. I'd like to know what you do and how it turns out.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
MrSnrub
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys!

Old 09-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFlow
I'd go for figs personally. I find that sweeter fruits in higher abv beers tend to bring out cough syrup flavors. I did have success with dried figs in a porter secondary for 3 weeks though. Reconstituted them in some water then boiled it down to a syrup. It came out amazing. Just my opinion though. I'd like to know what you do and how it turns out.
I've often thought of adding figs or dates to a nice dark Belgian style beer. Once I can't get anymore fresh fruit for the season, I'll give it a try. Sounds delicious to me.