Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap 2007: Beerrific's Brews

Old 08-16-2007, 03:59 PM   #11
Glibbidy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Kölsch

Appearance - Nice Golden color, adequately carbonated, and a thin white head that laced my glass the entire way down to the last drop. Very clear, and clean looking beer.

Smell - This beer had a hint of sweetness, as well as some slight spicey/floral notes. Very subtle. Hints of Diacetyl, but almost unnoticeable. Excellent Job!

Taste - This beer is well balanced. Nice malt backbone with Subtle hop over-tones. Mostly a subtle spicy taste. I found this beer to be very clean, crisp, and dry.

Mouthfeel - Again this beer had a crisp taste to it. The hops definitely did not linger, light in body and color, but not thin by any means.

Drinkability - This Kolsch was an easy drinker. I'm not a huge fan of this style, but I would drink this beer again.

BTW- I thought the bottles were adequately filled with, and just the right amount of ullage for a bottle conditioned beer.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #12
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Default Apa

Appearance - Standard Pale Ale color, Good carbonation. Another clear and clean beer. Mine held it's head most of the way down the glass.

Smell - This beer had a hint of citrus, and that is all. I couldn't make out the yeast, so it seems very neutral.

Taste - This beer is well balanced. The Cascade didn't really stand out as much as I thought it would. I found it hard to believe that you used Cascade in the kettle. This is a well balanced beer. Nothing really jumped out at me screaming hops, or malt. This beer was little light on taste, not watery, but light. Again the yeast in this beer tasted fairly neutral to me. Easy drinker.

Mouthfeel - Light and clean on the palate, very refreshing.

Drinkability - I liked this beer. It would make a great session beer in my book. Not heavy, Not To hoppy. I'll call it Baby Bear (just right) by design.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:03 PM   #13
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The APA was actually kind of disappointing to me. I wanted a really big hop flavor without any harsh bittereness. I used mostly late hop additions, but I agree I think the flavor was a little weak. I used some hops from a LHBS that may have been of questionable age. The recipe is here if anyone is curious.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:32 PM   #14
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
I wanted a really big hop flavor without any harsh bittereness.
Next time try Perle or Fuggles for your kettle addtion. These hops are very neutral and will help you achieve the big hop bitterness you desire without the harsh taste.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:34 PM   #15
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glibbidy
Next time try Perle or Fuggles for your kettle addtion. These hops are very neutral and will help you achieve the big hop bitterness you desire without the harsh taste.
Yeah, but I wanted to keep it to one hop variety for this one.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:35 PM   #16
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Default Hefe x2

Appearance - Cloudy, and opaque with little to no carbonation. The color of this beer is right on the money. It was a nice golden- amber-ish color.

Smell - I got a huge bubblegum nose from both the Hefe's that I drank. I'm guessing it had alot to due with the yeast you used. Just a guess. I like that bubblegum smell.

Taste - More bubble gum here, and some Banana on my palate. Slight sweetness from the malt, The hops are hardly noticeable here. The Hefe'sI recv'd seemed to lack substanital carbonation. I'm also picking up some DMS here. It's slight, but definitely there.

Mouthfeel - The appearance of this beer would lead me to believe that this beer would have more body, but appearances can be deceiving. It seemed to really lack body.

Drinkability - This beer was okay, perhaps if it had more carbonation I would enjoyed it a little more.

This beer once tweaked has the potential to be a really fantastic beer. More carbonation, and body and this sucker would be ideal with a lemon slice & a hammock on a hot summer day
BTW I didn't notice, or pay attention to the ullage on these beers.