Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Fullers ESB GF Clone
Old 09-15-2012, 03:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Fullers ESB GF Clone

I am a total newbie, in fact I just bought my kit. I am a huge Fuller ESB fan and I would like to clone that but in a GF beer. I would appreciate any ideas on this!

Old 09-17-2012, 03:14 AM   #2
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hi mate,

I haven't done an english style beer yet but have been thinking about somethink like ESB for a while.

1st place to start is with the extract recipe here

Use the same hopping rates. Use a combination of sorghum syrup and rice malt. I'd also use half a pound of dark candy syrup and some lyle's golden syrup.

The malt flavour which is prominent in English beers will be a challenge. You'll probably want to read up on roasting oats and adding these to your beer. Please take note that 4 out of 5 Celiacs can tollerate oats which haven't been contaminated with Wheat. I recommend testing the oats by eating a small bowl's worth first to ensure you don't have a reaction.

Hope this gets you started.
My gluten free home brewing blog.

Drinking: Hopped Honey IPA
Fermenting: 2 Ciders with S-33 Yeast, Summer Pale Ale and a West Coast IPA
Planning: Belgian Triple, Blood Orange Wit and American IPA

All gluten free.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:34 AM   #3
Liked 73 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I also HIGHLY recommend the addition of some buckwheat honey, which will contribute some residual sweetness that's appropriate for the style. Also, I heartily recommend Fermentis Safbrew S-33 as your choice of yeast. It can provide some nice bready notes that are quite good in a British style.