Stuck fermentation help needed - Northern Brewer Imperial Stout - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stuck fermentation help needed - Northern Brewer Imperial Stout

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 03:29 AM   #11
DrHop
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Berkeley, CA
Posts: 175
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Does it taste good? Can somebody write a script which posts this automatically whenever "stuck fermentation" is written in a thread. A high gravity reading doesn't mean it will be cloyingly sweet, only your taste buds will tell you that.

From your description, I'd say its done fermenting. Dropping the temperature may have stopped it a few points early but since its all the fermentables are from extract it probably wasn't going to get down super low. Realistically 1.025 may have been possible and 1.032 isn't that far away.

If I were you, I'd leave it sit for a few weeks more. You can probably let it warm back up to ~70F. Its a high ABV beer at this point so it probably needs the extra time to just sit there anyway. Maybe you'll lose a couple gravity points over that time. If you don't, its probably still gonna be good.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:12 AM   #12
DaBills
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Rochesterish
Posts: 256
Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kylevester View Post
It shouldn't. The champagne yeast won't have all that much to eat, if anything, and won't impact the flavor noticeably. Had you used only champagne yeast, yeah, it'd be much drier. Also, it will ensure you have live yeast for bottling.

The champagne yeast advice was given to me by a brewer at Sun King in Indy, so I trust his judgment.
Cool, thanks
__________________
Go Bills!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #13
DaBills
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Rochesterish
Posts: 256
Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHop View Post
Does it taste good? Can somebody write a script which posts this automatically whenever "stuck fermentation" is written in a thread. A high gravity reading doesn't mean it will be cloyingly sweet, only your taste buds will tell you that.

From your description, I'd say its done fermenting. Dropping the temperature may have stopped it a few points early but since its all the fermentables are from extract it probably wasn't going to get down super low. Realistically 1.025 may have been possible and 1.032 isn't that far away.

If I were you, I'd leave it sit for a few weeks more. You can probably let it warm back up to ~70F. Its a high ABV beer at this point so it probably needs the extra time to just sit there anyway. Maybe you'll lose a couple gravity points over that time. If you don't, its probably still gonna be good.
It tastes good. It may very well be done, as you say. I will let it sit though .
__________________
Go Bills!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #14
amandabab
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
spokane, wa
Posts: 1,971
Liked 242 Times on 183 Posts


i can't find a partial mash imperial stout at northern brewer, just an extract with specialty grains kit.
12 lbs of dark extract
1/2lb chocolate
1/2lb black
1/2lb roasted
(i cant think of a worse imperial stout recipe)
I don't care what NB lists as a FG, thats going to finish high, really high.
you said you brewed it on 9/7, check it in november

DaBills Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:28 AM   #15
DrHop
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Berkeley, CA
Posts: 175
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Sorry if that came off as me being a jerk but if it tastes good then I don't see a problem. I'd rather have my RIS a little sweet anyway compared to something with no body and too dry.

DaBills Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:41 AM   #16
DrHop
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Berkeley, CA
Posts: 175
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab
i can't find a partial mash imperial stout at northern brewer, just an extract with specialty grains kit.
12 lbs of dark extract
1/2lb chocolate
1/2lb black
1/2lb roasted
(i cant think of a worse imperial stout recipe)
I don't care what NB lists as a FG, thats going to finish high, really high.
you said you brewed it on 9/7, check it in november
"Northern Brewer Dark malt syrup is a blend of pale malt with some caramel 60, Munich, and black malt." The LME is only 30L so all those dark malts are needed but probably a little overboard. I think its a pretty basic RIS recipe. I do agree that the FG is probably higher because of all the extract.

DaBills Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #17
amandabab
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
spokane, wa
Posts: 1,971
Liked 242 Times on 183 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHop View Post
I do agree that the FG is probably higher because of all the extract.
because of all the dark extract
the 1.5lbs of grains aren't the problem

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #18
DaBills
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Rochesterish
Posts: 256
Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
i can't find a partial mash imperial stout at northern brewer, just an extract with specialty grains kit.
12 lbs of dark extract
1/2lb chocolate
1/2lb black
1/2lb roasted
(i cant think of a worse imperial stout recipe)
I don't care what NB lists as a FG, thats going to finish high, really high.
you said you brewed it on 9/7, check it in november
Ohh ok it is the specialty grains kit, I thought it qualified as partial mash. Now I get it. Could you point me in the direction of a good imperial stout recipe that you would recommend?
__________________
Go Bills!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #19
DaBills
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Rochesterish
Posts: 256
Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHop View Post
Sorry if that came off as me being a jerk but if it tastes good then I don't see a problem. I'd rather have my RIS a little sweet anyway compared to something with no body and too dry.
Right on. I'm just gonna leave it for awhile. It tastes good and I don't want to mess with a good thing.
__________________
Go Bills!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:01 AM   #20
Keithww
Recipes 
 
May 2012
San Antonio, TX
Posts: 137
Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts


I would rack it to a secondary and try to pick up a little yeast and let that sit 3 weeks at 70 to see if you drop a few points, then decide if you want to let it bulk age longer, re-pitch, or go ahead and bottle. It is a RIS so it is going to have more body than most beers, so you may not be that far off, but you don't want a little extra sugar if you bottle them and let them age for 6 months, a sure way to have bottle bombs.

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Northern Brewer is out of centennial!! slatorian All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 12 06-03-2012 04:08 PM
milk/sweet stout stuck fermentation? please help ijustwannadrinksomebeer All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 02-27-2012 02:51 PM
northern brewer ag kits artbrewer All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 32 01-14-2010 04:24 AM
question about imperial stout fermentation 513hooligan All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 09-25-2008 01:47 AM
Imperial stout stuck ferment barside laundry All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 07-14-2006 01:41 PM


Forum Jump