Can yeast starter be made in the carboy? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Can yeast starter be made in the carboy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 05:23 AM   #1
elayman
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Berkeley, CA
Posts: 32
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



I'm about to brew my first batch of Kolsch Ale tomorrow and I am going to make the yeast starter now. I'm wondering if I can just make the starter and put it in the carboy so that I don't have to move it and risk contamination. Then when the wort is cooled tomorrow, I can pour it over the yeast.

Thanks for your help.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #2
bottlebomber
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,345
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by elayman
I'm about to brew my first batch of Kolsch Ale tomorrow and I am going to make the yeast starter now. I'm wondering if I can just make the starter and put it in the carboy so that I don't have to move it and risk contamination. Then when the wort is cooled tomorrow, I can pour it over the yeast.

Thanks for your help.
You probably could, but contamination concerns wouldn't be a valid reason. There is very little risk of contamination in the starter, particularly if you are boiling in the flask. What I would be more concerned about is pitching too warm of wort onto the yeast. Wort rarely leaves the kettle at the ideal pitching temps.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:32 AM   #3
elayman
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Berkeley, CA
Posts: 32
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
You probably could, but contamination concerns wouldn't be a valid reason. There is very little risk of contamination in the starter, particularly if you are boiling in the flask. What I would be more concerned about is pitching too warm of wort onto the yeast. Wort rarely leaves the kettle at the ideal pitching temps.
The reason I asked was also because I do not have a flask/beaker. If I use my thermometer to measure the wort temps, will I be OK? And 70-72*F is the best temp?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:32 AM   #4
Brulosopher
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Fresno, CA
Posts: 2,931
Liked 357 Times on 261 Posts


I agree with Bottlebomber... but if you're certain your wort is the right temp (65ish will work), go for it!
__________________
Brulosophy is a place to experiment with home brews. If you've had a crazy idea or wondered how something worked please visit us at Brulosophy.com!

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #5
elayman
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Berkeley, CA
Posts: 32
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I am a noob so I hope you can steer me in the right direction. Why is it so difficult to measure the temperature of the wort before adding it to the carboy?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:39 AM   #6
Brulosopher
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Fresno, CA
Posts: 2,931
Liked 357 Times on 261 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by elayman
I am a noob so I hope you can steer me in the right direction. Why is it so difficult to measure the temperature of the wort before adding it to the carboy?
Difficult? If you're chilling in your kettle, it's as easy as sticking a sanitized thermometer in there.
__________________
Brulosophy is a place to experiment with home brews. If you've had a crazy idea or wondered how something worked please visit us at Brulosophy.com!

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
bottlebomber
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,345
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by elayman
I am a noob so I hope you can steer me in the right direction. Why is it so difficult to measure the temperature of the wort before adding it to the carboy?
It's not difficult to measure, it's difficult to obtain. Many people use a water bath or fermentation chamber (or just letting it sit in a cold room) as a means to getting the wort to pitching temps. Now that I am thinking about it though, a starter in a carboy is LESS sanitary, because of the headspace and exposure to air and the wild yeast and bacteria that are inevitably floating around in it. You don't need a flask, but you could probably get by with a quart canning jar or even a Ragu jar as long as you clean it well and boil it, or at least sanitize. Then just boil your starter in a pot, and pour the boiled wort into the jar. Wrap aluminum foil over the top, let it cool, and pitch. Keep the foil on.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:44 AM   #8
elayman
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Berkeley, CA
Posts: 32
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Okay so I will use another jar then. Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #9
bigbeergeek
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Visalia, CA
Posts: 4,089
Liked 122 Times on 100 Posts


...4 liters of Carlo Rossi Sangria, anyone?
__________________
"Good people drink good beer." -HST

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #10
elayman
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Berkeley, CA
Posts: 32
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeergeek View Post
...4 liters of Carlo Rossi Sangria, anyone?
funny you say that... two weeks ago we had a party and depleted safeway's stock of carlo rossi sangria (~8-10) jugs haha. we didnt save any of the jugs though



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dry Hopping made gas bubbles in carboy. JRawl General Techniques 7 04-01-2011 11:06 PM
So I made my starter very poorly fork General Techniques 11 06-04-2008 04:42 AM
Pre Made Wort for Yeast Starter? beerdad General Techniques 1 09-14-2007 01:40 PM
Made Starter but Can't Brew TheJadedDog General Techniques 3 04-23-2007 01:08 AM
Made my starter too early Llarian General Techniques 13 03-27-2007 03:23 AM


Forum Jump