Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Plastic water cooler bottle as carboy

Old 09-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
ElyIrishBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Plastic water cooler bottle as carboy

Hey all:

Trying to get started on the cheap, and it occurs to me the big plastic water bottles that you see at the water cooler in some offices would work pretty slick. I have access to some of these, and they look like 5 and 10 gallon bottles. My guess is, because they are for water for human consumption, that they are food-grade plastic and will not impart iimpurities/flavor in the beer.

Seems like a good way to save some $ in startup costs, but I'm interested to see if I'm missing something.

Thanks!

Old 09-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
WhiteEagle1
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 148

No. They will not work. Spend the money and get a fermentation bucket if you was to save money.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Zogman100
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Why won't they work? I use one for secondary (For fruit additions, dry hopping or if I just want to free up my primary) Not enough head space for primary though unless you are doing smaller batches.
Keg - Black H'Ops - Black IIPA
Bottled - "James" (Brown Ale)

Old 09-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteEagle1 View Post
No. They will not work. Spend the money and get a fermentation bucket if you was to save money.
??? They work quite well actually.

ElyIrishBrew there's a ton of threads on this subject. There's at least 5 a week. Plenty of people, including myself use them. Here's a good thread for you.

Just try to find recycling code <1> or <2> on the bottom. And be aware that if it's only a 5 gallon water bottle (and not a 5.5-6 gallon one) that you'll need to use a blowoff tube and/or brew slightly smaller batches.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
HbgBill Likes This 
Old 09-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
cknittle
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

The aren't the right plastic. Better bottles are made out of polyethelyne (i think). If you can find the drinking water bottles that have a 1 one the bottom those can be used for brewing, but pretty much all the others (commonly 5, and 7) will impart flavored and impurities. Some people still use them with no problems though.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogman100 View Post
Why won't they work? I use one for secondary (For fruit additions, dry hopping or if I just want to free up my primary) Not enough head space for primary though unless you are doing smaller batches.
They will work fine. This has been a non-issue for a LONG time.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cknittle View Post
The aren't the right plastic. Better bottles are made out of polyethelyne (i think). If you can find the drinking water bottles that have a 1 one the bottom those can be used for brewing, but pretty much all the others (commonly 5, and 7) will impart flavored and impurities. Some people still use them with no problems though.

Since the bpa recalls began, more and more of them on the marketplace are made of the correct plastic. If they have a <1> or <2> on the bottom they are perfectly fine to use. Even as far as last week people have sighted them in more and more places, even some walmarts have made the switch. In fact the BetterBottle company is manufacturing many of them for the water bottle industry, so you may actually be using one by them nowadays.

ElyIrishBrew Likes This 
Old 09-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
ElyIrishBrew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Thanks for the replies, folks. I used the search feature first but didn't find much. Thanks again for taking the time to helo a noob out with a common question. And Revvy, thanks for the link!

Old 09-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
knox_brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use a smaller 3 gallon water jug from Walmart for my 2.5 gallon batches and not one problem or off flavor at all. I would use them and not think twice. It's not like your distilling through a car radiator

Old 09-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 514

Right supposedly the ones with <1> or <2> on the bottom are safest. I noticed at work the water bottles have a <7> on them so I stopped drinking out of those. I used to get poland spring water delivered at home and I checked those, and they were <7> too.