Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Achieving Temperature Control during Infusion

Old 09-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
TipsyBear_Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Achieving Temperature Control during Infusion

What is the best way to move the wort from the protein rest temperature to the Mashing temperature while using a two cooler system and a brew kettle?

I dont think that draining the wort off after the protein rest and either replacing it with water at the mash temperature or letting the grain bed empty and reheating the wort to the mashing temperature and re-adding it is a good solution. Has anyone had any experience with this before and can give me an idea of how best to do this?

Also, is there a way to achieve step mashing (ie. progressively increasing the temperature during the mash at different time intervals?) this pretty much goes along with my previous question.

One more question. If a brewer were using a stainless steal mash tun, would adding the heating element to it during the mash result in uneven heating of the water in the grain bed and be unsatisfactory for achieving an increase in temperature?

Thanks to anyone who tackles this question for me.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
billl
Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 7

There are 2 basic methods.

1) Physically heat part of the mash.
2) Add boiling water to raise the temp.

The first is a staple of traditional german brewing (decotion). The second is what most homebrewers do, but it is limited in the number and range of steps you can do since you are adding volume each time.

Also of note, the vast majority of modern grains do not need a protein rest. What are you trying to brew and what ingredients are you brewing with?

TipsyBear_Brewing Likes This 
Old 09-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 77

You could look into RIMS or HERMS. If you don't have any pumps you're looking at about $250 for parts to build but they both allow heat to be added to a system without flame.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale, Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Pliny the Younger

Old 09-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5708 Times on 4997 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Without electro-mechanizing or pre-planned multiple infusions ...

Decoction. Been done for centuries. Not as hard as it appears.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
terrapinj
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

brewsmith (and I assume most other brew software) can help you calculate your infusion temps and volumes for each step

Old 09-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
TipsyBear_Brewing
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the tips. I really didn't have a specific style I was looking to brew since I am not going to be able to brew for awhile due to work constraints, but I was more or less just asking if it could be done with the system I have right now.

I appreciate the explanations and tips.