Melanoidin Malt head retention?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwwbrennan

Reaction score
Does Melanoidin malt aid head retention? The benefit is availability.

Carafoam and others are not available to me presently.

no, but you should not need those malts to have good head retention. if you must have something, wheat/rye & flaked barley work well in place of crystal

OK, that's good to know. I just cracked a stout with great flavour but a more determined head would be nice. It's only been in the bottle a month but I was curious. If it's a problem I will try some flaked barley.

Thanks

.5lbs of flaked wheat gives me a head that is crazy strong! i put .5wheat in most my beers for that reason alone

Only flaked wheat, not malted wheat, right? Malted wheat does little to nothing for head retention?

I have a lot of wheat berries which are generally milled for bread. Will it act like flaked wheat or is the flaking process required to have it work correctly?

Flaked wheat is gelatinized by the flaking process, wheat berries are not, you'd need a cereal mash to use them in the same manner.

Cereal mash with local wheat it is. Looks easy enough - but then again doing things is usually the part that adds the complexity.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back