My Current Predicament

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husher

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of nut brown 8 days ago. And had no airlock activity for 7 days, so I pitched a second batch of dry yeast (at room temberature).

Still no bubbles. Thing is, I believe there was some drawback from the sanitizer I used in the airlock. I use OneStep (hydrogen Perozide). Let's just say 2-3 tablespoons of the stuff was drawn into my beer. Is that a Problem? Assuming it didn't steralize my yeast?

When I had the bung hole open, the beer smelled sweet so no obvious infection smells. And no reason to belive fermentation started. And I've checked the seal dozens of times. No Leak.

What the hell? I'll keep an eye on it for a few more days waiting for some indication of Gas being released.

Husher said:
I brewed a batch of nut brown 8 days ago. And had no airlock activity for 7 days, so I pitched a second batch of dry yeast (at room temberature).

Still no bubbles. Thing is, I believe there was some drawback from the sanitizer I used in the airlock. I use OneStep (hydrogen Perozide). Let's just say 2-3 tablespoons of the stuff was drawn into my beer. Is that a Problem? Assuming it didn't steralize my yeast?

When I had the bung hole open, the beer smelled sweet so no obvious infection smells. And no reason to belive fermentation started. And I've checked the seal dozens of times. No Leak.

What the hell? I'll keep an eye on it for a few more days waiting for some indication of Gas being released.

How about a gravity reading. Airlock activity really doesn't mean much and how can you be absolutely sure the lid isn't leaking?

One step is really only a good cleaner, not so much a sanitizer but I dour that little bit would've done much harm.

At any rate you need to take a reading and verify nothing has fermented. BTW, what yeasts did you pitch, what temp are you fermenting at and how well did you aerate the wort?

Need to get that hydrometer out and tell us the facts. What did to sg start at and what is it at now? What was your recipe and procedure?

The airlock isn't the best indicator to determine if your beer has fermented or not. I have a rather cool basement that stays around 58-62 all year long. Most of the time the yeast will kick off strong and the airlock will go crazy for 3-4 days, and then it basically quits, but I know its not done yet. You need to take a hydrometer reading to determine if something happened. If its still hanging around your original gravity then something is wrong. What are the ambient temps where you have the fermenter? I wouldn't worry too much about the sanitizer/cleaner being sucked in...you got maybe an ounce or two sucked into 5+ gallons, it won't make a difference. That being said, unless I have been doing something wrong, why do you have sanitizer in your airlock when you are popping it into the top of the fermenter? I will clean and sanitize my air lock but then I usually just use tap water or cheap vodka if I have any as liquid in there.

You probably wasted your second batch of yeast by not taking a gravity reading before deciding to pitch and by going by lack of airlock activity.
Fermentation is not always dynamic...just because you don't SEE anything happening doesn't mean that the yeast aren't happily chewing away at whatever fermentables are in there....the only way to know comes from gravity readings, and nothing else.

Your airlock is NOT a fermentation gauge, despite what instructions or other people may have said. It is a VENT, and VALVE to release EXCESS co2 as needed. The amount of bubbles have no correlation to some concrete rate of fermentation. Initially there may be lots of bubbles, because lots of co2 is being generated in the first few days of fermentation. But eventually there's going to be less EXCESS co2 being produced, that doesn't mean fermentation is done, it just means that since most of the sugars have been consumed, the yeast are farting co2 less. SO the rate may change, or it may stop completely because there's no EXCESS being produced.

That's why you need to seperate the idea of bubbling = fermentation from your mindset.

Don't stress about what an airlock does or doesn't do. The rate or lack of or whether or not it bubbles at all, or if it starts and stops has more relation to the environment the fermenter is in, rather than fermentation itself. All it is is a vent, a valve to let our excess gas, especially co2, nothing else. It's not a fermentation gauge whatsoever.

It could just as easily be bubbling or stop bubbling for that matter, due to changes in barometric pressure, temperature, or whether or not the cat or vacuum cleaner bumped into it, as it could be to because it's still fermenting.

Activity, action, bubbles, even krausen can be affected by the envoironment just as much as it being caused by the yeast...so going by that is NOT reliable.

If you want to know what's going on with your beer, then take a gravity reading. The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

Do do anything just based on what an airlock does or doesn't do. You'll end up trying to "fix" something that isn't broken, and end up doing more damage, than if you'd just let things be.....

this is one of the reasons why I am a big fan of carboys / better bottles. I NEVER go by what I smell out of an airlock - or its activity or not. After mixing your wort- aerating- and pitching- without fail- within 24 hours- if all processes are done correctly- the yeast should start to do its thing. Temperature has a lot to do with all factors.

But I still go by what I see. Fermentation begins- its quite visible- the yeasty gooey goodness starts to form- take up its own shape and rise out of the beer to a foamy kreuzen. But I always look at whats going on under that mess. The yeasties chewing and mowing down the fermentables. Thats where the real action is. Its like a carnival most of the time in my carboys. They love beer for some reason... so do I..

after a few days- my yeast buddies are usually done- and I let them clean up by themselves for at least a 17-20 days.

Took some time but the main goal is patience. Thank the beer gods I never had to pitch yeast twice in a week- that would really drive a man crazy.

Im betting that your yeast went balistic- ate / drank / got merry- / had their fun and passed out- waiting for that time to clean up- in a few weeks im betting a consistent grav reading - and if no spoilages- bottle that up - and drink. Id rather drink a ****ty bottle of homebrew- than some sams that I have laying around for the commoners.....

why do you have sanitizer in your airlock when you are popping it into the top of the fermenter? I will clean and sanitize my air lock but then I usually just use tap water or cheap vodka if I have any as liquid in there.

I used vodka for a little while, but decided starsan was even cheaper. I don't use tap water as that could introduce non-sterile stuff if it got sucked into the fermenter.

At any rate you need to take a reading and verify nothing has fermented. BTW, what yeasts did you pitch, what temp are you fermenting at and how well did you aerate the wort?

I'll get around to taking a hydrometer reading at some point. I have no plans to bottle any time soon so there's no rush. It's probably just the first time fermentation looked lazy to me.

The temp is approz 18 degrees celsius, I used a blackrock can kit with came with yeast. Aeration involved dropping from a bottling bucket 2 feet into the primary.

So...Back to one of my questions. 2-3 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide in my beer (aka one-Step) won't kill me right?

So...Back to one of my questions. 2-3 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide in my beer (aka one-Step) won't kill me right?

You will be fine, 2-3 tablespoons within 5 gallons of liquid will be unnoticeable.

Incidentally, I figured out what my problem was/is. or at least I think I did. I bought a new fermeter but the lid wasn't drilled for the bung so I used an old lid. The airlock maintains pressure as long as I press down on the lid, but it might leak when no pressure is applied. This is the first time I've used this bucket, with an old lid. So, once I take a hydrometer reading in a few weeks, I'll know for sure.

Back