Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Add gypsum to sparge, or directly to kettle?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
DoubleBee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 5
Default

I'm actually making an IPA with the same water, today, so I'm going with 4g gypsum, split between the mash and sparge. It gets me into the calcium range I'm looking for, without throwing the ph out of whack, and it seems like pushing the sulfate just over 100ppm is actually preferred for this style. Of course, I'm just playing with B'run Water, too (MAJOR thanks, mabrungard!), so we'll chalk it up to a learning experience, either way...

So I guess the open question is: Isn't this question greatly dependent on what style you're planning on making?


DoubleBee is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
scone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 291
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleBee View Post
I'm actually making an IPA with the same water, today, so I'm going with 4g gypsum, split between the mash and sparge. It gets me into the calcium range I'm looking for, without throwing the ph out of whack, and it seems like pushing the sulfate just over 100ppm is actually preferred for this style. Of course, I'm just playing with B'run Water, too (MAJOR thanks, mabrungard!), so we'll chalk it up to a learning experience, either way...

So I guess the open question is: Isn't this question greatly dependent on what style you're planning on making?
I'm thoroughly unqualified to answer your question given that I just started messing with my water myself. But yeah, I would think it is, but then again I've also read that some people prefer a slightly "maltier/sweeter" sulfate:chloride ratio even for their very hoppy beers so YMMV. Some of the "classic" brewing water profiles seem pretty extreme in comparison to the recommendations in Bru'n Water, and that's another point of confusion for me.

It seems to me that aside from a low Ca content, Austin water seems pretty decent for brewing. Did you check out that thread I linked above? Apparently a number of the pro brewers in the area use only phosphoric acid and nothing else. I don't know if it's just for the sparge, or to treat the whole water content, but I suspect that some may leave the acid treatment out of the mash water for very roasty/dark beers.


scone is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #13
cooper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Baden, IL
Posts: 371
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

A person can always treat the water with CaCL and add Gypsum to the glass to see if the like the flavor Gypsum adds. Most people tend to prefer a maltier beer over one too bitter from large additions of Gypsum.
cooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
tochsner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tochsner's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Edmonds, WA
Posts: 204
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

When making gypsum or calcium chloride additions directly to the kettle, is there a better time? Early or late in the boil, or does it matter?
__________________
Tony

Rescue Dog Brewing
tochsner is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
DoubleBee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scone View Post
It seems to me that aside from a low Ca content, Austin water seems pretty decent for brewing. Did you check out that thread I linked above? Apparently a number of the pro brewers in the area use only phosphoric acid and nothing else. I don't know if it's just for the sparge, or to treat the whole water content, but I suspect that some may leave the acid treatment out of the mash water for very roasty/dark beers.
Yeah, I've actually been taking a look at the notes on local brewers fermentation tanks, and it confirms that thread. Most of them just use phosphoric. South Austin adds gypsum and chalk, but that's the only thing I've seen other than a straight acid addition.

For what it's worth, my IPA mash last week ended up in the mid- to high- fives (hard to be exact with litmus paper), and my efficiency definitely suffered (64%, lowest ever). Turns out gypsum isn't really a magic bullet for Ca and pH for Austin water, at least not for lighter beers (5.5 SRM). In a way, it's a relief, though. At least I'm getting a similar experience to everyone else. We'll see what gypsum does for the hop-forward flavor, but it looks like I'll be working with a phosphoric addition, going forward.
DoubleBee is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #16
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reed City, MI
Posts: 26,577
Liked 3320 Times on 2269 Posts
Likes Given: 2089

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tochsner View Post
When making gypsum or calcium chloride additions directly to the kettle, is there a better time? Early or late in the boil, or does it matter?
I can't see how it matters.


Homercidal is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gypsum bosox Brew Science 11 01-15-2013 03:43 PM
gypsum zrule Brew Science 2 06-08-2012 09:15 PM
Five Star 5.2 plus Gypsum Fletch78 Brew Science 17 11-13-2010 08:03 PM
K-Meta + Gypsum Fletch78 Brew Science 5 11-06-2010 04:53 PM
Gypsum in the boil? JLem Brew Science 4 03-09-2010 01:50 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS