One Barrel Brewery - Page 6 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > One Barrel Brewery
Sign-up To NEW HBT Article Newsletter - Brewing Articles Direct To You!

Old 10-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #51
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Got the stand primed and painted this weekend. Came out great!! I also found a new enclosure on ebay that will fit my needs perfectly. Shame I had to spend more money to re do it. Hoping I can recoup some costs on the old one. I'll see what I can do. I'll get working on that this week. Should have more updates on that come Thursday or so. The next few day's probably won't have any updates. Doing this while saving for a wedding is tough haha.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #52
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

What are your thoughts of doing this without HERMS? Do you think that a 20g - 1bbl batch has enough thermal mass to keep temperatures? I liked having a HERMS before and it worked great. But if I don't need another piece then that's a plus.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #53
dcbc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I've tried doing single infusion mashes in a 20 gallon kettle with closed cell foam insulation covered with aluminum foil tape. The insulation covered 100% of the kettle (lid, bottom, and sides). Basically a large stainless cooler. I probably lost 5--8 degrees over the course of an hour of an undisturbed mash. It works, but after several batches and lower efficiencies versus a cooler, I reworked the stand to make it a direct fired RIMS. Temps within 0.5 degrees and efficiencies back where they should be.

I think to make a kettle work without temperature control, you need to go with some serious insulation.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #54
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Yea I thought about it more and I think I'll stick with the HERMS. I had rock solid temps with that.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #55
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Bought a new enclosure and got all the holes punched. Going to prime and paint tonight and get it back to my brother in law. Hopefully now he can get it wired up.

Once payday comes on Friday, I'll be working on buying some tri clamp fittings. Never realized how much these things would add up. I think a 1/4 of my project cost is going to be wrapped up in tri clamp fittings. I love the way it looks and will make a professional looking product. Looking forward to getting this thing done and brew. Will probably have a few more updates tonight. Depending on the amount I get done.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #56
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

awesome progress

http://bjsbrewery.blogspot.com/

Old 10-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #57
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks! Got the enclosure painted last night. We are having company over for dinner tonight so I don't think I'll get anything done tonight on it. Tomorrow I'll mount the heat sink and get it over to my BIL to wire it.

I also want to continue to get the BK holes punched and flared so I can get the Tri Clamps soldered in. I have a keg I want to turn into a keggle and sell for some money towards the project.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #58
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Got the panel put together. Off to the BIL today to get it wired up. One mistake I did make is that I forgot about the labels and didn't leave enough room for them in some spots. So I placed them off to the side. I'm not thrilled with how it looks but it will do.

Going to work on getting more holes in the BK tonight. Debating on whether or not I want to do bottom drain or keep it on the side. Would make clean up soo easy.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #59
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Worked on the BK last night. I'm finding punching holes and dimpling is taking forever. I worked three hours on one hole last night. After reading. I think I need a larger coupling on the other side. I'm a fairly strong guy and with out standing on the wrench, it's not moving and neither is the dimpling tool. Going to give it another go tonight. Hopefully I don't waste the night and get nothing done again. I'd like to have that done and the pump and water filter mounted and pump shield made. The fiance won't be around too much this weekend so I should have plenty of time to get stuff done.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #60
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Lubricate well, both the dimpler, and the threads - Especially if they are course

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!