Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Use KNOX! It's the best label adhesive

Old 04-30-2013, 01:39 AM   #61
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Awesome on two counts! First that sidepart's thread has been "recognized" (well deserved), and second that the project locator thread wasn't a snake! Thats a great collection, and I apparently skimmed past it all the times I've been over to the DIY forum.....

Old 05-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #62
orangehero
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 282

Although I'm sure gelatin is a good label adhesive, I just use a few drops of white school glue dissolved in a few teaspoons of warm water. The glue is pretty resilient, but the labels come off under a stream of warm water and a $1 container of glue will last thousands of labels.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #63
Warthaug
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehero View Post
Although I'm sure gelatin is a good label adhesive, I just use a few drops of white school glue dissolved in a few teaspoons of warm water. The glue is pretty resilient, but the labels come off under a stream of warm water and a $1 container of glue will last thousands of labels.
Have you tried this on plastic (i.e. soft) bottles? The one limitation of gelatin is it is hard when dried, so on a soft bottle the gelatin cracks, releasing the label.

B

Old 05-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #64
orangehero
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 282

Sorry I don't use plastic bottles.

There are two kinds of white glue: the washable school glue and Elmer's Glue-all (Elmer's also has a washable school glue). I've used both and they are very similar, but the glue-all is a little bit more tenacious. The labels still come off under the warm faucet, but you may need to give the bottle a quick scrub with a sponge to get all of the residue off.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #65
mmiddleton
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Tried this last night, using labels that were printed on fairly cheap paper, and using an Ink Jet printer. As of this morning, they look quite good - a couple little ink runs here and there, but not nearly as much as I would've expected. Haven't wetted them yet to test the adhesiveness.

BTW, I found that a natural bristle brush works just fine too - in fact, I think it actually helped the brush! It was always stiff when dry, but after being used for labelling, and a quick rinse in warm water, it feels like a completely different brush!

My main blog: matthewmiddleton.ca
My brewing blog: 7cubed.ca

Old 07-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #66
mmiddleton
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Tested last night - ran under cold water, and the ink in the paper didn't run (it had already run a little when I first applied the label), and the label didn't budge. Ran under hot water, and it came off in about 30 seconds, with no residue. Success!

My main blog: matthewmiddleton.ca
My brewing blog: 7cubed.ca

Old 07-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #67
mcangeli
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 98

For the record, I picked up a box of the kroger brand gelatin and dissolved one packet in a cup of hot water and stirred until it was clear.

Worked rather well for applying the labels, stayed on in ice water and came right off with a hot rinse.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #68
jaydog2314
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 156

started using this method 2 batches ago and it's AWESOME!! took some bottles on vacation where they sat in an ice bath for about 5-6 days and the labels still stayed on and came off with ridiculous ease in warm water!!! I've used 1 packet for 2 batches now, the best solution out there for labeling, glad I found it!
Secondary:
Up Next: TBD
untappd: hopheavy2314
Canal Brewing Co:
Facebook Twitter Untappd

Old 02-02-2014, 02:28 AM   #69
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I mainly keg, because bottling is a pain in the ass for the most part, but I do like making labels and such, so I thought I'd give it a whirl!

KNOX is effing awesome as an adhesive for labels..pure genius!!!!

Thank you!!!

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 04-30-2014, 11:47 AM   #70
OddNotion
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I am using this method for a batch for my wedding. I have applied about half of the labels to bottles and am running into an issue where if I place a bottle into water, the gelatin begins to become slimey and come off of the bottle/label. Would a second layer help? Would a less diluted mixture work better?

I am using labels that have been laser printed from a copy center and the paper they used feels a little thicker than regular printer paper - not sure if that could play any type of role here.