Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How much water to add after boil?

Old 09-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
scorpionc53
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How much water to add after boil?

I've brewed about 6 beers now and I'm on another now, but just had a thought. I have a pot capable of a 3 gallon boil. I'm using 5 gallon kits. After I've boiled my 3 gallons, how much water do I add to the primary? Do I just add enough water to the 5 gallon line or do I compensate for boil off and only add 2 more gallons no mater where it comes up on the primary?

Old 09-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 535 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Top off to five gallons.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

You put your wort in the fermenter, and fill it til you get to 5 gallons. Anything lost will be made up when you get to that 5 gallon mark.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
scorpionc53
Recipes 

I just didn't know if that would 'water down' my wort. My beers have always turned out excellent t, just didn't know if I was not getting the full potential from my wort by adding too much water. Thanks.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
nasty_rabbit
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 68 Posts

Is the 5 gallon mark the correct goal or should the target OG be what I shoot for?

Old 09-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
scorpionc53
Recipes 

From what I've been told, you work your way up to the 5 gallon mark while keeping an eye on your og making sure not to go out of the range.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
nasty_rabbit
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 68 Posts

There have been times where I have had to go to 5.5 or 5.75 gallons to hit an expected gravity. I am an extract brewer right now.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
Qhrumphf
Spirit of '69
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2352 Times on 1674 Posts
Likes Given: 1012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasty_rabbit View Post
Is the 5 gallon mark the correct goal or should the target OG be what I shoot for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionc53 View Post
From what I've been told, you work your way up to the 5 gallon mark while keeping an eye on your og making sure not to go out of the range.
In theory you should top off to the correct OG. However, if it's an extract kit designed for 5 gallons, 5 gallons should be the correct OG. As long as you get your volumes right and add all the fermentables you're supposed to (ie don't forget to add something and don't add anything extra), the only way it'll be off is if whoever supplied the kit/recipe messed up.

Top-off water makes getting an accurate reading very difficult if not impossible. What you could do is take a gravity reading after you chill the wort, but before you top off. With that gravity reading, and the volume of the wort prior to top off, you can do some very easy math, and either know what your gravity at 5 gallons would be (accurately), or figure out exactly where you need to top off to in order to hit the OG you want.
Casked: Scottish 80/-
Bottle Cellar: Brett B Tripel, Brett C English Barleywine, Lamebic, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C Bitter, Wild Cider, Bourbon Barrel Sour Stout, Wee Heavy
Revvy Likes This 
Old 09-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #9
scorpionc53
Recipes 

I'd still keep an eye on og. I just filled to 5 gallons once and my og was way off.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post
In theory you should top off to the correct OG. However, if it's an extract kit designed for 5 gallons, 5 gallons should be the correct OG. As long as you get your volumes right and add all the fermentables you're supposed to (ie don't forget to add something and don't add anything extra), the only way it'll be off is if whoever supplied the kit/recipe messed up.

Top-off water makes getting an accurate reading very difficult if not impossible. What you could do is take a gravity reading after you chill the wort, but before you top off. With that gravity reading, and the volume of the wort prior to top off, you can do some very easy math, and either know what your gravity at 5 gallons would be (accurately), or figure out exactly where you need to top off to in order to hit the OG you want.
Yes. In the case of topping off with water, in an extract batch go by the volume, YOUR GRAVITY WILL BE CORRECT even though your hydro reading doesn't appear to be. Read this.

Attention new brewers, yes your original gravity reading is wrong. Don't panic.

Extract brewing is FOOLPROOF, top off to your correct final volume and the real gravity will be correct.

The magic of brewing is that Volume and gravity are dependent on each other.

Your beer is exactly stronger by the amount of water you are missing, so if you make it up with water, then the gravity will correct itself. And in the case of extract, all you have to top off to the target volume, you don't njeed to figure out how much, just top it off.

Same if you have to high a volume of water, your beer is exactly weekend by the amount of water you over shot. You can fix that by boiling further to concentrate the wort to the volume you need. (this is more for AG brewing.)

Every brewing software has a tool called a dillution calculator to help people figure out how much water to top off, when the miss their gravity in all grain brewing. If you plug the numbers of even an extract batch into the software you will see how this corrects itself.

It happens all the time. When you calculate your gravity of your current volume and you then use the dillution tool in beersmith to calculate the gravity after toppiing it off with the amount of water you are missing, you almost always come back to what the original gravity should be. I've topped off when necessary and the beer indeed has turned out fine.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew