equipment supplier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendozer

Reaction score
I know there are brewers here on the islands and was wondering if there is enough business interest to allow some minor expansion to my family's company. They sell mainly food service parts, but deal with some of the same suppliers of homebrewing equipment like Perlick. I was thinking about adding a small display of items to the sales floor consisting of:
Blichman ready fitted kettles
perlick faucets and shanks, parts or whole assembly
weldless fittings for QD or barb for home made kettles
maybe gas disconnects for kegs.

and other general items that you guys basically have to order online. There is one LHBS that I know of on the entire island, homebrew in paradise. However, their stuff is crazy expensive and we can get a much lower freight cost than he can. So I'm just testing the waters here to see how much interest there really is.

Sobering new to the island, I have shopped at HBIP. He is crazy expensive for hardware. He has decent prices for grain, considering that it's an island and not mainland. If you could get a burner for less than a hundred or a wort chiller for about the same I would be game!

when i was brewing down here i made my own wort chiller for like $50-60. Would have been like $30 on the mainland but the copper coil was pricey at the Lowes here. I'm trying to think how many keg too. It wouldn't be worth the trouble only to order propane burners, kettles, and chillers.

I'd definitely be interested. I pretty much get everything from HBIP but there's always room for a little competition. Shipping from Midwest or NB etc is always a killer, too.

My 25' IC cost about $40 with parts from lowes. Doesn't work worth a damn on my 12Gal batches though :(

So no crap there I was, Midwest supplies was doing flat rate shipping for 3 days only. New ss wort chiller, 18 in mash paddles, and two kits for less than the price of one HBIP wort chiller. I will still go to HBIP when I need grains and such, but Midwest also gives a military discount. Still looking for empty kegs tho..... Lol

Damn, sorry to hear I missed that. The wife would have killed me for everything I would have bought. Every so often I fill up my 'cart' and proceed to checkout just to see what shipping looks like. I then empty the cart back out in the most solemn of ways thinking about what might have been. Then go to NB and rinse, and repeat. Sad days :(

What kinda kegs you looking for? I ran a Craigslist ad for about two months and ended up with 5 sankey kegs @ $30 per. I got quite a few replies but a lot of people wanted more for them but I held my ground and refused to pay more than their deposit. I got my keggles built and have two extras for 'other occasions'.

If its corneys you're after, best of luck. I got my four with the purchase of a Craigslist keezer. Almost never see them advertised here. I found one place about six months ago, believe they were out of Texas, was gonna be about $45 shipped each. If you're interested I can dig around and find them again.

I then empty the cart back out in the most solemn of ways thinking about what might have been. Then go to NB and rinse, and repeat. Sad days :(

haha that's great. boy you guys are going to hate me for this. I live up Seattle now and go back to hawaii occasionally. I got 8 ball lock corneys for $150 and 5 pin locks for $45. I ended up selling the pin locks for more plus the soda dispensing machine that came with the 8 ball locks. It is hard to find corneys in Hawaii for sure. I feel like we have a very small homebrew movement and when people brew, they bottle b/c its cheaper and they don't wanna take the leap into kegging.

Looking to make keggles. I have one, looking for at least two more. One will be my primary and the other I am going to use for something. Poss a mlt once I get fully into all grain....... Doing extracts now not been too bad so far.

Yeah man, try running a Craigslist ad. It worked out pretty well for me, albeit in the long run. Only thing to watch out for is the excess of Heineken kegs, which are a bit smaller than the 15.5. Whereabouts on-island are you? Been thinking about trying to get some group brews together. HoPS seems more about going out to bars and such which doesn't really suit me so much.

mendozer said:
haha that's great. boy you guys are going to hate me for this. I live up Seattle now and go back to hawaii occasionally. I got 8 ball lock corneys for $150 and 5 pin locks for $45. I ended up selling the pin locks for more plus the soda dispensing machine that came with the 8 ball locks. It is hard to find corneys in Hawaii for sure. I feel like we have a very small homebrew movement and when people brew, they bottle b/c its cheaper and they don't wanna take the leap into kegging.

I'm not one to hate! At least some people out there are getting some decent deals :)

try yardhouse for kegs, or ask who their distributor is. I know someone who works for Anheuser Hawaii, but i don't know if he works with kegs, he's a publicity/marketing guy

I am up at schofield. Been here on island for roughly three months now. Just got finished fermenting a coffee honey porter. Bottled today. Did some checking around for kegs, yard house won't sell empties neither will kona brewing. Not looking to keg much yet just because bottles are cheaper at this point. I have friends down on Hickman who saves me his kona bottles.

I'm also at Schofield. If you ever want to do a big brew day, let me know. I'm trying to get on to a group brew with the West Oahu Brewers Club tomorrow. If that falls through, I'll probably just end up down at HBIP to pick up supplies to do a Bitter American clone (damn, those are delicious) to brew up in the afternoon. My main fermentation chamber died a horrible death this week (craigslist freezer, guess i should have expected as much) so I'll probably just be doing a small batch, 2.5G or so, so that I can adjust my keezer temp for it to primary in. Either way, let me know. I love to cook out and brew some beer. We can get all crunk and such whilst making some delicious brews. It's basically a win-win.

Ferm chamber..... I have been using a 35 gallon Rubbermaid container for a water bath. Kept my temps down to about 70 during fermentation. Need to find a used fridge. This weekend isn't too good for meeting up. Got tickets to air show out at kbay, going Tom morning. Going to brew a rocky pale next weekend.

I tried something similar with some frozen water bottles but couldn't keep it steady and cool enough (low 60's ideally). I got a new freezer picked out from lowes that I'll probably pick up tomorrow. Hell of a downgrade but I'll make it work.

I'm gonna brew on Sat, you're more than welcome to come by if you want. Always got plenty of beer.

Almost forgot, if you're still looking for kegs, I've got two Heinekens sitting out in the garage. I started polishing one, didn't get too far. If you don't mind the slightly less volume (50L) they would probably work just fine. $30 apiece if you're interested.

I could get them from you one at a time. Where are you at? Pm me your number and we can set up a meeting. Fairly busy this week with work.

Pm sent. Also just realized that we hijacked the hell out of Mendozer's thread. Apologies for that. I hope that the interest shown here doesn't keep you from trying to peddle some brew wares out here. It might be worth posting on the HoPS fb page as well. There's quite a few folks on there as well.

Latest posts

Back