Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Criagslist, Very nice Bm23 Bev-Air kegerator

Old 08-02-2007, 02:15 PM   #1
OneHotKarl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Criagslist, Very nice Bm23 Bev-Air kegerator

Hey everyone, I recently found a very nice Bm-23 Beverage-Air single kegerator on craigslist. The price is $200 and its in very nice working condition with everything included. It a little old but has been adult owned and taken well care of.

Is this a good deal? Im worried its too old and uses R12 instead of R134, is this even a problem if everything works on it?

Thanks!

Old 08-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #2
SixFoFalcon
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't know anything about that particular model, but the general considerations are is it big enough (internal dimensions) and does it get cold/stay cold.

If it works, the refrigerant type is of no concern. Refrigerators in general are fully sealed systems--not like your car that uses flexible hoses that gradually leak refrigerant. A fridge can go indefinitely without a "recharge". There are people here using 50-year-old refrigerators!

If it's really old like mine, I'd be careful about the size. My ancient Beer Meister was built around the old Hoff-Stevens kegs, and it's not tall enough inside for Cornies or any of the other popular modern kegs. Fortunately, I have a Hoff-Stevens 1/4-bbl that fits and will work fine for my 5-gallon batches.
On tap:Witbier, American Stout, Imperial Stout, Root Beer

Bottled:"Massacreation" Chinook Barleywine, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, English IPA, Cabernet Sauvignon
Next: US IPA

Old 08-02-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
OneHotKarl
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok that does make sense about them not leaking, as I have seen many 50+ year old fridges. I guess I was just a little skeptical/paranoid.

I bought it and it works great. It holds 4 corny kegs, 2 commercial 5gal kegs, or one commercial 15 gallon keg. Its got all the original parts with it and its in perfect shape. I need to put some new lines in it and see if I can get the co2 tank it came with filled.

I think it was a pretty good deal since its $1100 new without any taps/tanks. The fan motor is a little noisy but nothing out of hand. It should look pretty nice once I mount my brass Perlick double tower tap on it.