Does anyone else here pay to park at work? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Does anyone else here pay to park at work?

Old 08-02-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Central PA
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I am frustrated. We get charged $35 a month just to park at work. That is $420 a year. Anybody else under a racket like this? I guesstimate they take in over 2,000,000 a year in parking fees. Not to mention the fines, event parking, etc. Big money!

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
Turkeyfoot Jr.

Recipes 

May 2007
Toledo, Ohio
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep...I was paying $33 a month to park at a garage a couple blocks from work but when a spot opened up in the garage connected to our building I took it so now I pay $40 a month but I don't have to worry about walking in the rain or snow. The company does pay the other 50% of the parking so I guess I can't complain too bad but my last job didn't have a parking fee at all so it was a bit of an adjustment.
Primary: EMPTY!
Bottled:
Kegged: Turkeyfoot English Mild

Old 08-02-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts

Only once. Had a job in downtown S.F. It wasn't too bad, as most days I could BART over. I just had to drive when I knew I'd be working late. Of course, BART wasn't free either.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land
Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01
That is $420 a year.
Mmmm....$420....
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
FlyingHorse
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Evanston IL
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

IF I drive to work, I pay $15 a day. I work in a downtown office building, no street parking, and that's what the closest public garage charges.

In the year I've lived/worked here, I've only driven 3 times. Took the bus 3 times, and the rest of the time I ride my bike (and park it in the same garage for free )

When I lived in Chicago, the cheapest parking anywhere near my office was $22/day. Took the El, or rode my bike.

EDIT: zoebisch, are you saying your employer owns the lot, and charges employees to park in it? That is a racket!

Old 08-02-2007, 01:51 PM   #6
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Central PA

When I lived in town, they had a good deal "ride for $5" which is a program to encourage using the transit authority. That was pretty good. Now though there are no buses where I live. They have a "commuter" lot which is much cheaper, but that is about 45 minutes walking distance (other side of campus). They have bus loops, but I am still looking at adding probably 20 minutes to my commute.

What brings this whole rant on is that I forgot my pass (used our van yesterday to come in as my car was in the shop) and got all the way in and realized I didn't have it. So a temp pass is $4. Screw that, I already pay $35 (actuallly it is $34 I looked again). The fine is $7 if I get caught. Tell me this aint a racket.

Sorry for the whole rant. Every year I think they recoup the raises they give through parking

Old 08-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Central PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike N Brew
IF I drive to work, I pay $15 a day. I work in a downtown office building, no street parking, and that's what the closest public garage charges.

In the year I've lived/worked here, I've only driven 3 times. Took the bus 3 times, and the rest of the time I ride my bike (and park it in the same garage for free )

When I lived in Chicago, the cheapest parking anywhere near my office was $22/day. Took the El, or rode my bike.

That does suck. What has to be realized though is that my employer is the one charging me to park.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land
Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts

It's 90+ and humid, so I can't ride my bike now but once it cools down again I'm riding my bike to work again. I need the exercise, I love riding my bike and I love saving money on gas.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:59 PM   #9
Cregar

Recipes 

May 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01
That does suck. What has to be realized though is that my employer is the one charging me to park.
Hummm... so your paying to work there!

Old 08-02-2007, 02:06 PM   #10
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Manor, Tx
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

In high school we (as in my parents) paid ~$200 a year to park on campus. I laughed when I went to college and parking was only $75 a year and everyone was freaking out.