Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Witbier Turned Sour in Bottle

Old 09-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #11
Cincy17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It occurred to me today that it has been a long time since I've had an actual Belgian witbier so I picked up a pack of Hoegaarden on my way home from work. I guess I was expecting more Blue Moon flavor out of my beer, but it's definitely more Hoegaarden just with more tartness. Here's hoping mine mellows out and tastes like that.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
Cincy17
Recipes 

2 weeks in bottle and same story. Still really tart, but the flavor isn't any stronger than it was a week ago, just not any weaker either. Still fizzy with absolutely no head and no gushers or bottle bombs so I'm not as leery of infection as I was. Just not sure where I went wrong since it didn't develop the taste until in the bottles. I've got my next batch, a partial mash pumpkin ale, in the same fermenter now, hopefully it is more successful.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:01 AM   #13
Cincy17
Recipes 

After a month in the bottle they are still tasting fairly sour, although better than at first. So it's not getting worse, but very slow getting better. I'm not sure there is any difference this week vs 2 weeks ago. It's still not really drinkable. It also is still not very carbonated despite using about 4.25oz corn sugar boiled in water to prime. It's got carbonation, but it's more fizzy and doesn't even remotely form a head. I guess I will just chalk this one up to some unknown newbie error and hope that the 2 beers I have going right now, waiting until I finish my kegerator, don't end up sour as well.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #14
Cincy17
Recipes 

Is there any chance that this may have been a Brett infection? Or would I have other signs other than the sour taste? Since it was fine before going into the bottles, it would have to have been picked up in my siphon and tubing that was brand new, cleaned, and sanitized.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #15
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 294 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Are you able to post your recipe? Maybe we can help find the flavor source.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale, Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Pliny the Younger

Old 10-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #16
MalFet
/bɪər nɜrd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1405 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy17 View Post
Is there any chance that this may have been a Brett infection? Or would I have other signs other than the sour taste? Since it was fine before going into the bottles, it would have to have been picked up in my siphon and tubing that was brand new, cleaned, and sanitized.
It might have come from there, but not necessarily. It is just as possible that the bug was already present in the fermentor, but that it hadn't progressed far enough to be detectable.

I'd also like to see the recipe. Wits are often designed to be a touch tart, and many recipes will add lactic acid or acidulated malt. That could definitely be a "tart fruit" kind of tone.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #17
Keithww
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It is also possible that in two or three months it might really turn around. Then again it might not, no harm in aging it for a few months just in case.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #18
Cincy17
Recipes 

It was an extract kit from the LHBS. The flavor appeared or became detectable within a 3 day period between bottling and sampling the first bottle.

6lb Wheat LME
1lb Corn Sugar
0.25lb Carafoam
1oz Golding Hops (60 min)
0.5oz Saaz Hops (15 min)
0.75oz Ground Coriander (10 min)
0.25oz Dried Sweet Orange Peel (10 min)
T-58 Yeast

Fermented for just under 2 weeks in a water bath that read around 65 for the first week and around 70 after that. I bottled when SG was steady around 1.008 in 3 readings over a 4 day period. It is kind of carbed weird too. Sort of undercarbed, but fizzy with lots of little bubbles and won't pour a head of any kind for anything.

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to let it sit and age and hope it turns around. I have tried about 1 a week since I bottled it 5 weeks ago and it has mellowed some, but it's still definitely sour/tart. I just want to try to figure out what happened so I can try to prevent it in the future. I have a pumpkin ale in a secondary right now that was in the same fermenter for 2 weeks and racked with the same tubing and siphon I used with the Wit and so far it is excellent.