Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing

Old 09-15-2012, 01:08 AM   #11
mlager
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Well here is what I ended up with... Looks like it worked out ok... I'm sorta in experiment mode, I'm thinking about making a starter just to see what kind of activity I get... If I do, does it make sense to store the yeast from the starter? I suppose if I pitch a vial and let it go for 48 hours I will have more than I started with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1099852399.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	75767

Old 09-15-2012, 01:31 AM   #12
troyh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlager
Well here is what I ended up with... Looks like it worked out ok... I'm sorta in experiment mode, I'm thinking about making a starter just to see what kind of activity I get... If I do, does it make sense to store the yeast from the starter? I suppose if I pitch a vial and let it go for 48 hours I will have more than I started with.
Yes, that's how you step up starters. But I think you could make starters with each of those vials and use that to ferment a beer up to 1.060. Use 2 vials for higher gravity beers.

You can keep growing yeast but 10 generations is supposedly the limit as the yeast start to mutate and become bad yeast at that point.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #13
mlager
Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'm going to do a starter with a vial and brew up a porter... I was just going to do a starter what better experiment that brewing a beer with the yeast I just washed!

Old 09-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #14
mlager
Recipes 

Well it looks thus far like I may have been somewhat successful harvesting yeast! Pitched one vial and woke up to this. Now what to brew this evening. I was thinking porter, might be nice as it will be ready right as Arizona is cooling down!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3457086661.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	75804

Old 09-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
troyh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts

Looks great! I rarely get that much krausen on a stir plate. I usually just get a little froth.

Arizona cools down? To what, 85? ;-)

Old 09-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #16
mlager
Recipes 

Actually, we cool down pretty good during the winter. It's not uncommon to hit freezing temps for a while... It's not crazy compared to other places but most people are surprised by how cold it gets here.