Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing

Old 09-11-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
mlager
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast Washing

I acquired these nifty plastic vials, they are similar to the vials that the White Labs yeast comes in. I see a lot of people harvest their yeast and store them in jars. I'm thinking about harvesting and storing in these vials. If I were to do so, would I expect that one of these vials filled with my harvested yeast would be similar to the cell count of something like a white labs vial? I would always be doing a starter, so I'm wondering if it would make sense for me to use more than 1 of these vials when doing so. Any advice or information would be great!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1518916184.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	75298

Old 09-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #2
troyh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts

I use 40ml vials for washed yeast and make starters with them and they've been fine. I think White Labs vials are 35ml so I don't see why it'd be different.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #3
mlager
Recipes 

Nice, good to hear. I think I'm going to give it a shot. These vials just seem easier to store in the fridge. And honestly, make me feel like a scientist ha but that's just a secondary benefit.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #4
bratrules
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Those are nice for keeping frozen yeast. Where did you get them?

Old 09-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #5
mlager
Recipes 

http://www.sciencebob.com/store/pre-150.php

Apparently these are what two liter soda bottles start out as... They seem super durable and have seal nice and tight.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #6
bratrules
Recipes 

Cool thanks for the link. They will work great for a frozen yeast bank!!

Old 09-11-2012, 06:15 AM   #7
mlager
Recipes 

I would have always thought freezing yeast would kill me, I was planning on throwing me into the fridge... Is there anything special that must be done to freeze me and bring e back to life other than using a starter? Do they last a lot longer frozen?

Old 09-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #8
bratrules
Recipes 

Check this out http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/guid...st-bank-35891/ but I also wash yeast to!! Combining both really saves you some cash.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Yeast from White Labs is prepared under laboratory conditions. It will not lose viability as fast as washed yeast, and is 100% yeast, whereas your yeast will contain a certain amount of trub. In other words, your vials will contain much less viable yeast than an equivalent sized vial of yeast from White Labs. I use jars to store mine, which allows me to make a starter with just one jar. You will probably need to use more than one vial, or make a multi-step starter.
I can recommend http://www.amazon.com/Yeast-Practica.../dp/0937381969 as a source of some great information on the subject.

-a.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
troyh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts

According to Jamil and George Fix, the slurry in washed yeast is at least 75% yeast, probably more, assuming you washed it properly. And a White Labs vial isn't full of yeast either. There's probably 20-30ml of yeast slurry in a White Labs vial. They claim 100B cells total, so that's 3.3-5B cells per ml. Washed yeast should have 2.5-3.75B cells per ml (probably more). So if you have 27-40ml of washed yeast slurry in a vial, you have about the equivalent of a White Labs vial or a Wyeast pack.