Wlp 500 starter is a BUST

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unibrow

Reaction score
I made a 1.3 liter starter 20 hours ago with wlp 500...absolutely no activity! Most of my starters get krausen and bubbling after 12 hours but the gravity hasn't moved at all so far

Anybody else have trouble with 500 starting? I'm baffled here

Had the same issue this week. Give it another day. My starter eventually took off. Same yeast WPL500. Now have 10 gal happily fermenting away.

A little more detail on my experience. Made 2 starters on Saturday AM 9/2 from a single vile. WPL500, best before Oct-6-12, lot number 1500IIL8298301. Seemed like not a lot of yeast in this vile. No activity by Sunday night, and getting ready to place an emergency order on Monday. Monday morning some activity, and positive action by Monday noon. Cold crashed on Wednesday night, and pitched on Sunday afternoon. Two 5 gallon buckets showing airlock activity after 4 hours. Both showing 1 inch of Krausen on Monday morning. Hope it works the same for you.

Well, I'm 36 hours in and still no activity in my 500 starter. Following your timeline, I'm 12 hours before your Monday morning when you finally saw activity. If I don't see anything by tonight, I may try to get a refund from my LHBS...

Kinda disappointed with wlp 500 right now. Unless the yeast is dead, this seems unacceptable

Quick update - before I left for work today, I put the starter in a smaller room with a space heater and set it to 70 degrees all day - maybe a little heat will wake it up?

After 48 hours, my starter actually began to bubble up the side a little bit - so I could finally see some activity in there.

I pitched into 5 gallons of 1.063 wort last night...this morning, I'm getting some airlock activity so it looks like everything is okay in the world of WLP 500.

Happy to hear that. I was afraid I was giving you bad advise to wait. :mug:

How did this turn out? Im going to try a tripple with WLP500 this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back