Priming Sugar and CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, there are plenty of people that carb with sugar (of some sort) and then just use CO2 to push the beer out.

I mean does anyone use both methods on the same batch

When my pipeline gets full and I know my kegs won't be getting to the fridge for a month or so, I'll prime with 75% of the corn sugar required for bottling. I just use CO2 to seal the kegs and serve.

Seems to have worked out pretty well so far. Some of my kegs have been a little under carbonated but after sitting a day or two on gas, they will recover.

I had recently just kegged 5 gallons of a Kolsch and set it to 20 psi for 3 days and when the time came to taste it, it had head when poured and tasted carbonated at first but the after taste was flat still, so I didn't know weather to incorporate some priming sugar in the next batch or to maybe let it sit longer under the same psi or do a combination of both.

Well our cream ale turned out very nice actually. Despite having somewhat of a Hefeweizen flavor at the beginning it finishes with a crisp ale taste. I was surprised at how well it turned out because we kegged the 5 gallons and carbonated it using 5 oz of priming sugar, which is the same amount used when bottling, and I had read on some posts and threads on here that you aren't supposed to use the same amount of priming sugar that you use when kegging. Turns out that it is just fine, plus this time around we replaced the o ring set and used some keg lube which without a doubt added to the success of this batch. I also successfully bottled a number of bottles and growlers just using the bottling cane attached to the dispensing faucet, pretty much fits exactly but I did notice that it was helpful to not even start dispensing until you had the cane inserted in the faucet and then had the cane all the way down in the bottom of the bottle/growler allowing it to be open before you flip the faucet on to pour, other wise you will shoot the bottling cane out of the faucet insert thus causing spillage and stickiness.

Back