Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > New To Kegging
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
HaveADrinkOnMe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 43
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default New To Kegging

Well my buddy and I are new to the art of kegging and our novice minds on the topic prevailed over satisfying carbonated beer.

From the advice of another homebrewer I know, we kegged an Alt Oktoberfest Ale and a Kolsch. The first mistake I have now discovered is I started carbing as soon as I put the kegs in the fridge and didn't allow them to get down to the 37-38 degree mark I was aiming for.
The second mistake that I found out when tasting this last weekend was that I only set the kegs to carb at 20 psi for 3 days (one of the days when the beer was still trying to cool) and I was excited as I poured my first glass because of the head only to discover the after taste was quite flat.

I have spent several hours scouring the kegging and carbonation threads on this site and have determined that I 1)Didn't allow a long enough time frame for the CO2 to take into the beer and 2)Didn't wait until the beer was at the desired temperature to even start carbing.

Some other causes of concern are that we are using 2 used kegs and one of the in posts was fizzing when I attached the co2 disconnect which leads me to believe that we need to invest in some new o rings and seals, also we didn't have any keg lube this time.

My theory on making our next batch a success is to purchase new rings and seals, maybe even new in and out posts for the kegs, and keg lube. Waiting until the beer gets to the 37-38 degree range before carbing, and then actually waiting a week or 2 with the psi set to around 12-13.
Any helpful hints or words of advice would be appreciated.


HaveADrinkOnMe is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
WhiteEagle1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Spring Grove, IL
Posts: 410
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Default

This is good info....as I will be kegging my beer for the first time in a few weeks. Thanks!


__________________
Luck is for People who need Luck.
WhiteEagle1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
nasty_rabbit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: auburn, georgia
Posts: 773
Liked 107 Times on 69 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveADrinkOnMe
Well my buddy and I are new to the art of kegging and our novice minds on the topic prevailed over satisfying carbonated beer.

From the advice of another homebrewer I know, we kegged an Alt Oktoberfest Ale and a Kolsch. The first mistake I have now discovered is I started carbing as soon as I put the kegs in the fridge and didn't allow them to get down to the 37-38 degree mark I was aiming for.
The second mistake that I found out when tasting this last weekend was that I only set the kegs to carb at 20 psi for 3 days (one of the days when the beer was still trying to cool) and I was excited as I poured my first glass because of the head only to discover the after taste was quite flat.

I have spent several hours scouring the kegging and carbonation threads on this site and have determined that I 1)Didn't allow a long enough time frame for the CO2 to take into the beer and 2)Didn't wait until the beer was at the desired temperature to even start carbing.

Some other causes of concern are that we are using 2 used kegs and one of the in posts was fizzing when I attached the co2 disconnect which leads me to believe that we need to invest in some new o rings and seals, also we didn't have any keg lube this time.

My theory on making our next batch a success is to purchase new rings and seals, maybe even new in and out posts for the kegs, and keg lube. Waiting until the beer gets to the 37-38 degree range before carbing, and then actually waiting a week or 2 with the psi set to around 12-13.
Any helpful hints or words of advice would be appreciated.
You probably need to disconnect the gas and replace the "O" rings now and get some keg lube. If not you next thread will be "why is my CO2 tank empty?"
nasty_rabbit is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
edmanster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Taylorsville, Utah
Posts: 1,727
Liked 82 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default

You can use Vaseline/petroleum jelly as keg lube..

It doesn't matter when you hook the gas up to start since the keg is warm and would require a higher psi than the fridge setting to do anything..

I do 30psi for 2 days and then down to 12psi for a week..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadarnell
'how will i explain this to my kids' ... if i have to ask that, then i think my kids are in trouble ... just my 2 cents ... HAVE A BEER !!!
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia
edmanster is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
nasty_rabbit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: auburn, georgia
Posts: 773
Liked 107 Times on 69 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmanster
You can use Vaseline/petroleum jelly as keg lube..
I would stay away from Vaseline. It is NOT water soluble and it may/will gum up poppets. Don't consider cutting corners with a $3.00 gasket kit or a $5.00 tub of keg lube when the keg is holding $40.00 plus time in beer.
nasty_rabbit is offline
RoughandReadyRanch Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
edmanster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Taylorsville, Utah
Posts: 1,727
Liked 82 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasty_rabbit

I would stay away from Vaseline. It is NOT water soluble and it may/will gum up poppets. Don't consider cutting corners with a $3.00 gasket kit or a $5.00 tub of keg lube when the keg is holding $40.00 plus time in beer.
In a pinch it works just fine and the food grade lube I use is petroleum based!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadarnell
'how will i explain this to my kids' ... if i have to ask that, then i think my kids are in trouble ... just my 2 cents ... HAVE A BEER !!!
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia
edmanster is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
nasty_rabbit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: auburn, georgia
Posts: 773
Liked 107 Times on 69 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmanster

In a pinch it works just fine and the food grade lube I use is petroleum based!
You typed the words. FOOD grade. I for one would not put Vaseline on any thing that I was going to consume.
nasty_rabbit is offline
WhiteEagle1 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
edmanster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Taylorsville, Utah
Posts: 1,727
Liked 82 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...lLubricant.jpg

Hmmm. Let me think about what people do with Vaseline...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadarnell
'how will i explain this to my kids' ... if i have to ask that, then i think my kids are in trouble ... just my 2 cents ... HAVE A BEER !!!
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia
edmanster is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #9
nasty_rabbit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: auburn, georgia
Posts: 773
Liked 107 Times on 69 Posts

Default

That's not Vaseline. This is.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1973949485.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	75216  
nasty_rabbit is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
edmanster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Taylorsville, Utah
Posts: 1,727
Liked 82 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default

K, as with everything my phone is to smart for me to link you to the MSDS but I can show you their page with no warnings of people eating it by the handful..
http://www.vaseline.us/products/petr...l/default.aspx


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadarnell
'how will i explain this to my kids' ... if i have to ask that, then i think my kids are in trouble ... just my 2 cents ... HAVE A BEER !!!
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia
edmanster is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to kegging Guidry Bottling/Kegging 5 05-19-2011 12:55 AM
Kegging 101 Zixxer10R Bottling/Kegging 5 05-12-2011 12:09 AM
kegging question from a kegging noob RootvonRoot Bottling/Kegging 8 05-22-2009 02:03 PM
First Kegging kush Bottling/Kegging 0 02-22-2008 02:38 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS