Lager Question - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Lager Question

Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
Sep 2011
Katy, TX
Posts: 185
Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

I brewed my first lager 10 days ago. I had done my research and thought I had the process down pretty well. My plan was to let it ferment for a week or until I saw the krausen start to fall and then I was going to raise the temp for a diacetyl rest. Keep it at 65 F for two days, transfer into secondary, and then lower the temp down to 35 where I would park it for 7 weeks.

Of course, how often does your plan work perfectly? It took almost two days before I started seeing airlock activity. After about a week the krausen was still going so I tested the SG and it was 1.038. I was hoping it was at 1.025 by now and I would be starting the diacetyl rest.

Normally I would relax and have a homebrew and wait it out, but this Friday I'm going out of town for a week. I might be able to get the diacetyl rest in by then, but I doubt I'll have time to transfer into secondary and lower it to lager temps.

Now, my wife will be home and I could probably give her instructions on adjusting the temperature, but it's hit or miss that she'll remember. Honestly, with her I wonder if the dog gets fed while I'm out of town. But I can call her and text her to bug her to keep on it. But there's no way she can transfer anything into secondary, and I wouldn't trust her to properly get a sample to test the gravity.

So if I had her adjust the temperatures for me through the diacetyl rest and take it down to lagering and then just transfered into secondary when I got home do you guys think I would be alright?

Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
Mar 2010
Katy, tx
Posts: 208
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I let my lager sit at the fermentation temp on the yeast for up to a month and never have problems with any diacetyl. My normal way is to let it ferment at 50 for 3 weeks then go to secondary at 28 degrees for at least a month.

Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
terrapinj's Avatar
Dec 2010
Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 2,415
Liked 170 Times on 126 Posts

you should have enough time this week to do a 2 day d-rest and can lower the temps back down before you go

if you wanted to help it along you could raise the temp by a degree or two for the next couple days, check gravity and start d rest on Weds or so and lower the temp back down on Friday before you go. you don't even need to rack to secondayr, just cool it in the primary and rack when you get back in a week

Reply With Quote
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lager Question ScoobyKnows Fermentation & Yeast 4 03-01-2012 02:22 AM
Lager Question Ki-ri-n Fermentation & Yeast 3 02-06-2012 10:56 PM
First Lager Question FooFan Fermentation & Yeast 4 01-07-2012 08:00 PM
Lager Question aomagman78 Fermentation & Yeast 1 10-22-2011 05:03 PM
Question about my first lager WildGingerBrewing Fermentation & Yeast 10 02-28-2011 08:50 PM

Forum Jump