Why no group buys? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North West Homebrew Forum > Why no group buys?

Old 09-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Loodachris
12th man loud and proud!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2009
Tacoma Wa
Liked 33 Times on 20 Posts

Why are there never any grain group buys for us here in Washington? I have no idea how to go about starting one and I always see plenty for the east coast. Anyone have an idea how to start it up?

Old 09-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
jtd_419

Recipes 

Aug 2012
Pomeroy, Washington
Liked 119 Times on 88 Posts

Not a clue but what part of Washington are you in? If you're close enough i would be interested when you do figure it out. I am in the southeast corner

Old 09-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
Loodachris
12th man loud and proud!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2009
Tacoma Wa

Tacoma here

<------

Old 09-10-2012, 03:18 AM   #4
jtd_419

Recipes 

Aug 2012
Pomeroy, Washington
Liked 119 Times on 88 Posts

I'm in the opposite corner.... about six hours southeast.....

Old 09-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
H-ost

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Bellevue, WA
Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts

I think it is a great idea but I do not have anytime to brew for a long time so I guess this is just a bump to the thread.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 152 Times on 143 Posts

I think you see more of them on the East coast, just due to population density. But you start the process by posting that you are interested and where you are located.

Best of luck!

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
jeepinjeepin

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Winston-Salem, NC
Liked 1046 Times on 1025 Posts

I've not done one but it seems somewhat straightforward if not a fair bit of work. You have to find your supplier, whether that is a lhbs that can cut you a deal, a brewery that will pad an extra pallet to their next order, or a wholesaler. I believe a pallet is your minimum purchase to get any substantial cost savings. After you get your specs; price per sack of which grains, number of sacks per pallet, etc you advertise it to your local audience. You will need a place to do the distribution. Will it all be full sacks or will you allow splitting of sacks on site? You will need a large accurate scale if so. The purchase will likely be going on your credit card and then you collect from everybody by PayPal beforehand or cash/check at delivery. It's your group buy. You make the rules. Just look at some of the other group buy threads and go from there.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:39 AM   #8
Loodachris
12th man loud and proud!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2009
Tacoma Wa

Ya I need to look around and get some info for sure. lhbs quoted me $49.00 for a sack of Briess 2row and with some of the prices online that seems like a good deal especially with no shipping. Maybe I'll talk with them and see what they can do. What I really need to do is join a home brew club and get some info that way as well.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:15 AM   #9
step

Recipes 

Dec 2009
Hood River, Oregon
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I thought there was a guy in Olympia that would drive down to Great Western and pick a couple pallets of stuff for a group buy..... I guess I will do the searching and post the link...

ok here you go http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/oly...up-buy-228667/ talk to these folks.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:55 AM   #10
troyh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts

Have you tried Larry's Brewing Supply in Kent?: http://www.larrysbrewsupply.com/

I buy bulk grain from them and their prices are good. They supply many breweries and brewpubs in the area so have a large warehouse of grain.