Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Must

Old 09-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Steve707
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Altoona, Pa.
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just started a strawberry fermentation yesterday and I would like to keep the must for a skeeter pee. I will be racking it soon and was wondering how I could keep the must. Could I just keep a jar of it in the freezer?, how much should I keep?,How long does anyone think it will last in a freezer? Thanks in advance,since I always get a quick answer and never get back to thanking you all.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7839 Times on 5493 Posts

Are you talking about saving the lees from the strawberry wine, to use the yeast? If so, you don't want to freeze it (freezing will kill the yeast). A fridge would work, though.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Steve707
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Altoona, Pa.
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I would like to start fermentation on skeeter pee a little easier, and, add some strawberry flavor. I don't need to reuse the yeast.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
brazedowl
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Fayetteville, NC
Liked 41 Times on 31 Posts

I've heard you can mix with glycerin and do some excitement to keep yeasts in the freezer but I don't remember how long. Also if your intention is to get strawberry-skeeter pee... you best use some strawberry daquri mix or something because strawberry flavor is so weak that I don't think you'll even get any color from a yeast cake.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:26 AM   #5
Honda88
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Pella, IA
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts

you dont wanna save the must, you wanna save the lees at the bottom but honestly id just use a fresh yeast packet in a honey starter. either way good luck