Pumpkin saison advice - saison des potimarrons
I am planning a brew for new week and since it starts to be pumpkin season I am thinking and I never did a saison I am considering mixing the two. I did a partial mash last year for a pumpkin ale and I am looking for a all-grain this time.
Generally I am looking full bodied, after dinner kind of beer with some kind of funk (Full month pie like experience) If it needs to age for after thanksgiving it would be ok I guess.
The couple of questions I have at the moment is :
- Yeast : I am think of WLP565 Belgian Saison I Yeast. I will have to find a trick to insure higher 60 for fermentation. I read that it does not always attenuate well. Should I be worried or just let it some time.
- Starter : I am targeting 3.5 G. in the primary fermenter so I am think that a 1l. starter should be enough. How long in advance should I prepare the starter?
- Pumpkin (boil or mash) I will be roasting a small pumpkin in the oven a 350. I did that last year and that went fine. Last year I used it in the mash but I am considering putting it in the boil. What do you think about that. I am looking to mainly add color.
- For the spice, I am not really sure how to do it yet. I am thinking at flame off but I don't know how much to not overpower the yeast. Any advice are welcome.
- Hops I am not sure about the citra @ 5 minutes. Any advice here?
Bellow my beersmith for a 3.5 Gallons batch (I am still working out my evaporation it might be more or it might be less).
Recipe: Saison des potimarrons
Boil Size: 4.54 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.64 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 3.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 3.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 8.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 65.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 56.0 %
3 lbs Pumpkin (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 24.0 %
2 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 16.0 %
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.0 %
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 29.1 IBUs
0.70 oz Ginger Root (Boil 12.0 mins) Herb 6 -
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 6.3 IBUs
0.07 oz Cinnamon Stick (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 8 -
0.25 tbsp allspice (Boil 0.0 mins) Spice 9 -
0.17 tsp Nutmeg (Boil 0.0 mins) Spice 10 -
1.0 pkg Belgian Saison I Ale (White Labs #WLP565 Yeast 11 -
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 8.0 oz
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 15.62 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min
Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 2.27gal) of 168.0 F water