I got on a WLP090 kick a few months back, which started after I heard it is basically the "more flocculant yeast from WLP001." I've brewed many good beers using this strain and do certainly notice it flocs and drops relatively well. For comparison's sake, I brewed 10 gallons of IPA a few weeks ago and pitched 001 into 5 gallons and 090 into the other (1.5L starters of each). The beers are currently kegged and almost fully carb'd. Here are some observations I've made thus far (if anyone even cares):
- Fermentation (67F) took off and completed in about the same amount of time- FG was reached for both within 5 days; vigor was about the same as well.
- WLP001 had a much larger/fluffier kraeusen than WLP090, and it hung around much longer
- Both beers ended with the same exact FG, despite WLP090 supposedly being somewhat more attenuative... and despite the myriad complaints I've read of WLP090 stopping early (I've never experienced this with this strain)
- The hydro samples I pulled off while kegging appeared to be similar in clarity, which made me think what I'd heard about 090 being more flocculant was a myth (WLP001 on left, WLP090 on right)
- After about a week in the cold kegerator, the WLP090 appears to be clearing up faster/better than the WLP001, I'll try to post a comparison pic of this when I get a chance *DISCLAIMER: This is a very highly hopped DIPA, so I don't expect it ever to get fully bright*
- Some flavor differences are present, though they're so subtle I'm having a hard time coming up with the words to describe it. The WLP001 tastes more "full," if that helps. That's not to say it tastes better.
Overall, I'm still not sure which one I'd say I preferred if I were forced to do so. Given my experience, the faster clarification of WLP090 will likely keep me coming back to this strain. Though I'm currently on a WLP001 kick, mainly because of my yeast harvesting process
I'm curious what others have experienced with WLP090. Also, if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask!