HELP with a stout - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > HELP with a stout

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #11
TapeDeck
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 67
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Keep some dry malt extract on hand for when a beer doesn't hit its number, if you are concerned about ABV.
This one will be less alcohol than Guinness if it really was 1.028.

Doesn't mean it will suck.
Does mean you should burn through it quickly and make it right, next time.

If you didn't get an accurate hydro reading, it could be meaningfully higher. You aren't going to know the ABV without an accurate hydro or refractometer reading for SG/OG and FG. But it's not worth worrying about, particularly if it tastes good. Looks good.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:43 AM   #12
Afhuff01
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Eagle river, Ak
Posts: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapeDeck
Keep some dry malt extract on hand for when a beer doesn't hit its number, if you are concerned about ABV.
This one will be less alcohol than Guinness if it really was 1.028.

Doesn't mean it will suck.
Does mean you should burn through it quickly and make it right, next time.

If you didn't get an accurate hydro reading, it could be meaningfully higher. You aren't going to know the ABV without an accurate hydro or refractometer reading for SG/OG and FG. But it's not worth worrying about, particularly if it tastes good. Looks good.
Thanks. I took the first hydro reading and it tasted great!

So if I don't hit my mark, how do I figure how much DME to added to bring up my S.G.?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
CastleHollow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
CastleHollow's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Midlothian, VA
Posts: 674
Liked 103 Times on 73 Posts


DME gives you about 45 points per pound per gallon. Using this formula:

(a#DME x 45)/b gallons = desired SG addition

So if you were interested in raising your SG by 18 points in a 5 gallon batch, you'd need

(a# x 45)/5 = 18, or 2# DME.

The SG of your beer was much higher than 1.028. Your partial mash alone would have given you 1.022 or so, assuming about a 65% efficiency. Adding the DME (you DID add the DME, didn't you? ) would have put you right around 1.065. What was your target?

Glad to hear that it tastes great, that's what we're all about anyway!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,741
Liked 8016 Times on 5602 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleHollow View Post

The SG of your beer was much higher than 1.028. Your partial mash alone would have given you 1.022 or so, assuming about a 65% efficiency. Adding the DME (you DID add the DME, didn't you? ) would have put you right around 1.065. What was your target?

Glad to hear that it tastes great, that's what we're all about anyway!
That's correct- your SG reading was simply wrong. The "heavier" extract was on the bottom, while the top off water wasn't mixed in well.

With 5 pounds of extract, the sugars HAVE to be in there. They can't go anywhere, and the yeast will work on them. Your actual OG was probably more like 1.060-1.065. You get 9 SG points a gallon from one pound of DME in a 5 gallon batch- so if you used 5 pounds of DME, that alone will give you a 1.045 SG and that doesn't even include the grains you used.

So don't worry!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
divrguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
, California
Posts: 1,254
Liked 93 Times on 83 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Afhuff01
I did a partial mash, replacing 2lbs of extract with 2.5lbs of 2 row pale barley.
BTW, if you were trying to do a direct conversion, you're 2 row should have been more like 3 lbs
__________________
Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:04 AM   #16
Afhuff01
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Eagle river, Ak
Posts: 38

The only DME that was added was for the yeast starter. Otherwise, everything else is what was listed above.

This was a simple off-the-wall recipe at my local home brew shop. Grab the recipe, grab the ingredients, and then go home and brew. No S.G. to start by. No O.G. to end.

If it wasn't mixed well to begin with, I am assuming its probably to late to try and mix now??? Haha.

I'm thinking I may end up with a "non-alcoholic" stout! It's a learning experience. At least my cider is doing AMAZING!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #17
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,741
Liked 8016 Times on 5602 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Afhuff01 View Post
The only DME that was added was for the yeast starter. Otherwise, everything else is what was listed above.

This was a simple off-the-wall recipe at my local home brew shop. Grab the recipe, grab the ingredients, and then go home and brew. No S.G. to start by. No O.G. to end.

If it wasn't mixed well to begin with, I am assuming its probably to late to try and mix now??? Haha.

I'm thinking I may end up with a "non-alcoholic" stout! It's a learning experience. At least my cider is doing AMAZING!!!
Oh, you did not use the 5 # of DME that the recipe calls for?

If not, well, yeah, you're screwed.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #18
Afhuff01
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Eagle river, Ak
Posts: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

Oh, you did not use the 5 # of DME that the recipe calls for?

If not, well, yeah, you're screwed.
I used 5# of liquid... Sorry for not clarifying.

I also took a hydrometer reading last night. It's currently at 1.014.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #19
billl
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,307
Liked 377 Times on 318 Posts


"I'm thinking I may end up with a "non-alcoholic" stout! "

Relax. Your beer is going to be fine. Not mixing enough isn't going to bother the yeast at all. The only thing that it messed up was your measurement. The second they start eating, the wort is going to start churning everything will be mixed up just fine.

That is the great thing about brewing with extract. The fermentable sugar is going to be there. You don't have to worry about it at all. All of the major manufactures put out incredibly reliable and consistent extract products. As long as you use the correct amount of water, your gravity is going to be spot on. If you add a small amount of other fermentables, you are going to be pretty darn close for your OG even if your mash isn't great. eg if you are only getting 10 points from non-extract sources, you can be drop from 75% efficiency down to 50% and still only be off 2.5 points.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #20
Afhuff01
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Eagle river, Ak
Posts: 38

Well I racked last night @ 1.014.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump