Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Warping Rubbermaid Coolers

Old 08-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
DiegoProf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Warping Rubbermaid Coolers

Hi all,

I saw some previous discussion of Rubbermaid coolers warping when very hot water is put in them here: http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.p...ubbermaid+warp

But had a few follow-up questions.

1) Do those of you who use them as a mash tun pre-heat them with boiling water? This is what I did on my first use and it's what caused a bit of warping for me. I was able to do this on my old rectangular cooler with no problem.

2) Does the warping go away?

3) Does the warping cause any serious problems, or does it just not look pretty?

Thanks!

-Matt

Old 08-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've never warped mine, but then again I don't put water in over 170 degrees in it. I preheat mine with a few gallons of very hot tap water.

I guess it won't hurt as long as it does not leak.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:11 PM   #3
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The first time I pre-heated my 10 gal Rubbermaid MLT, it warped a bit. It hasn't done so again ever since. I use water that is just less then boiling (around 190F) to pre-heat the cooler and it seems to work great.

Unfortunately, the warping won't go away, but it shouldn't get any worse either, nor should it affect the ability of the cooler to hold heat in any significant way.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:25 PM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
I preheat mine with a few gallons of very hot tap water.
exactly what I did. 122F tap water to pre-heat. I lost a whopping 2-3 degrees during my hour long single infusion rest period. you don't need to super heat the cooler, just get it fairly warm so its not such a heatsink.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 08-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 697 Times on 397 Posts
Likes Given: 255

I used to preheat but became too much of a PITA.

Now I just up the temp of my strike water by 7-8 degrees and hit my numbers spot on. I have a 5-gallon and a 10 gallon and neither of them have warped.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy
The first time I pre-heated my 10 gal Rubbermaid MLT, it warped a bit. It hasn't done so again ever since. I use water that is just less then boiling (around 190F) to pre-heat the cooler and it seems to work great.
My Rubbermaid MLT warped as well on the first use even though the water was around ~175F. I guess it's no big deal. Hopefully it won't warp anymore.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I just heat my sparge water 10 degrees above what Beersmith calls for (so, usually around 170-something) and pour it in the MLT and let it sit for 5-10 minutes or so. It'll drop down nearer to the target, and then I fine-tune with a few ice cubes before I start adding grain.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #8
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkenjaeger
I just heat my sparge water 10 degrees above what Beersmith calls for (so, usually around 170-something) and pour it in the MLT and let it sit for 5-10 minutes or so. It'll drop down nearer to the target, and then I fine-tune with a few ice cubes before I start adding grain.
I think my problem was using a bad thermometer. The dairy thermometer just doesn't cut it. I think next time I will make sure I stir up the water really well and then take the temperature with a digital thermometer.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
RedSun

Recipes 

I've warped a cooler once, but thankfully it wasn't my MLT because if the floor of the cooler is warped, I'm boned using the copper manifold. I use hot tap, but not full heat, just a shade under, maybe 160 degrees. Works like a champ Doesn't really take any extra time for me.

[Primary and Secondary]
Test Your Might - (Amber Victory Ale)

[Bottled or Drinking]
Red Sun - (Kryptonian Red)
Usul - (American Honey Wheat)
Weirding Way - (American Honey Wheat)

Colossus - 50qt Mash Tun

Old 01-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1266 Times on 835 Posts
Likes Given: 34

It's going to deform a bit on the first run or two because the plastic expands and has nowhere to go. Do NOT put boiling water in there though. There's just no reason to. Go up to 185F with your initial strike water if you have a cold cooler and just wait for it to get down to 169 or close, then add your grain.

July 4th Sale, $20 off plate chillers through July 4th.