Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Mr Blowoff

Old 09-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
Faub007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It is. I have a lathe restoration project this winter but it is in no shape to make anything now.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
wgb
Recipes 

ha, just thought of a bo-janged backwoods way to build a coring bit...

first, go find yourself a beer in a CAN and drink it.

use some scissors or whatever, and sacrifice the can to give you some nice thin sheet aluminium. now find yourself a 1/2" piece of dowel (could use some of your pvc, but best if its actually a tad smaller diameter) wrap some of your aluminum around the dowel, extend the aluminium past the tip so that the aluminium is flat at the bottom hollow end that sticks past the dowel.

secure aluminium to dowel with a handy hose clamp or two... chuck in drillpress or drill
(carefully shave down the dowel if your chuck cant handle the dowel...)
(or even better: use a drill bit as the dowel!)

presto, a corer!

i'd worry a bit about the can aluminium being too flimsy (our cans have a thicker wall up here in Canuckistan), but you get the idea. id be tempted to just extend the "blade" a 1/4" past the dowel so its nice and stiff, then core in short sections... either using a knife to pry/shave/pop out the newly drilled sections, or extending the blade bit by bit...

drill bits and even hole saws just have such a high chance of tearing the rubber, i really think going to the trouble of coring is going to give you your best result.
you could buy a 1/2 coring bit... we use them sometimes for punching EMT through concrete walls, but thats going to be pricey, one can of beer and a hose clamp is cheap...

Old 09-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #13
NCGrayson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

this is just a massive 3 piece air lock no?

Old 09-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
Faub007
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah

Old 09-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
Imagineer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

When I've needed to drill out a bung or other type of stopper I have always had good just using a drill press and turn up the speed as high as you can. Then as you pull down let up every 1/4 of an inch then repeat until you are through. The high speed allows for a cleaner cut and the many pauses keep the bit & the bung from heating up.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #16
fluidmechanics
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I had a thought, and it may not cost you a dime. Go to the scrap bin for the hose section of your local hardware store, use an inch of 3/4" ID x1" OD tubing along with a piece of 1"ID x 1 1/4 OD tubing. Fit the airlock in the 3/4 tubing then put the 1" over the 3/4", then jam it into the carboy. It just may work and would be easier than trying to drill out a bung.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:39 AM   #17
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
Looks lik a neat idea. But, I guess it depends on what kinda blow off your getting. I've had some brews that would over fill that thing in a heartbeat. I clean my blow tubes with an old bottle brush. I cut off the 'bristle' part and crimped an old electrical cord to it. Soak the hose in hot water and Oxyclean, then snake the cord through the hose and pull. Voila!
Looks like you could just put some silicone tubing over the end and run it to a jug, then switch over to the airlock after blowoff is over.

Cool design.