Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Good website to buy kits from?

Old 09-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
chungking
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I am a "midnight" brewer. Only time to do it is when the baby is asleep. I pay for it the next day when he wakes up 7am, but its worth it. I think I'll try out Austin first. Any suggestions for the first kit that you made and turned out great? I can only brew ales at this point in time...

Old 09-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1082 Times on 788 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Honestly, this was the first kit that I brewed. It turned out amazingly well, I've actually brewed it a few times since, and I now have an all grain version of the recipe in my BeerSmith. Really, it depends on what you like to drink. Like I said before, get a kit that's a style that you prefer, maybe even your favorite style of beer.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #13
cincydave
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

"it depends on what you like to drink" Yes, this. Just pick a style you like. I did the Alaskan Amber clone from Austin and it was really nice. Not super hoppy, or overly heavy. Just a nice balanced amber. Everyone that tried it loved it.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #14
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1082 Times on 788 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave View Post
"it depends on what you like to drink" Yes, this. Just pick a style you like. I did the Alaskan Amber clone from Austin and it was really nice. Not super hoppy, or overly heavy. Just a nice balanced amber. Everyone that tried it loved it.
Yeah, it's really that easy. Just pick one that's a style you know you'll drink a lot of, and make it a kit that's not advanced, like a straight forward ale, and brew it. Even though I brew a lot of my own creations now, I still do a good number of kits, and they're always good. I've learned a few tricks along the way that help me get a really nice extract beer, and the kits I brew are just as delicious as the all grain beers I design myself. We're drinking on a batch of Liberty Cream Ale (which I added a dry hop addition to) right now and loving it and I have a batch of Ferocious (Surly Furious clone) that's just coming along in bottles. Both of those are Midwest extract w/grains kits that I did as is, except I added the LME after flameout instead of before the boil.
Just pick something you like, brew it, follow the basics of proper brewing and you'll be happy with your beer.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:28 AM   #15
UKFreak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

As a complete noob, I liked the little charts that Midwest puts in their catalogue...makes it easy to find homebrews that suit your tastes. Northern has some really nice kits, but not a lot of information on each. Austin has a HUGE list, and once you understand AA's, IBU's, OG/FG/ABV and such, picking from their lists are easy (plus they have a massive stock of clone beers). Also, once you start doing recipes instead of kits, Austin allows you to order what you need, instead of bulk grains. Saves $ and hastles of measuring them yourself. Down side: Midwest's shipping is a bit pricey, where Austin is really pretty fair. Northern is about in the middle from where I live. Haven't worked with the others...

"I never met a beer I didn't like....well, except Woodchuck!"

Old 03-08-2013, 03:32 AM   #16
Vinny91
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Northern brewer and midwest have done right by me

Old 03-08-2013, 03:47 AM   #17
EPS
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If i order kits or basic equipment i go Austin because there shipping is the cheapest for me. But i usually order over 100$ worth of stuff and get the 4.99 flat rate. I been meaning to try More Beer also cause i have heard if you order over 59$ its free shipping. If i need certain grains for a crazy recipe i go Northern Brewer they have a huge selection of grains. I have never been unhappy with Austin or Northern Brewer as far as freshness goes.