Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Roasted barley bourbon infusion???

Old 09-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
Bierliebhaber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default Roasted barley bourbon infusion???

I'm preparing to make a RIS and I was considering making a roasted barley bourbon infusion and adding it to secondary/late primary. Has anyone tried this or heard of anyone trying it. I have done coffee infusions before, but thought I may get a similar effect by just using roasted barley.

Part of this is to just see how it turns out. But I usually max out my mash tun on this RIS and I thought this may be a way to save space. I'm curious about the potential flavor profile.

Procedure: 14g batch
-1 lb of milled roasted barley and 1/5 bourbon combined in mason jar 4-6 days (until attenuation is nearly complete).
-filter infusion through coffee filter
-pour fermented RIS extracted from primary through ground and filter to extract full flavor???
-add contents to primary.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 5

sounds like a good idea to me but i would add it after fermentation has slowed or stopped

Old 09-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
Bierliebhaber
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimpanogosSlim View Post
sounds like a good idea to me but i would add it after fermentation has slowed or stopped
Exactly, I should have clarified that.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Honestly, the "positive" flavors you get from roasted barley are going to be better extracted in a mash or steep. The alcohol in bourbon is going to pull out way more tannins and astringent character than you want. I would just do this batch with bourbon only, added to taste, and then make your next recipe with more dark-kilned malts if you're not happy with the color/roastiness.

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com