Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Extract/AG Rivalry

Old 09-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
Baileyforlife
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Extract/AG Rivalry

I've been reading tons of threads on the White House beer being made and all the negative comments about the extracts used. I don't understand what the big deal is. I've only been brewing for about a year and half now and this weekend will be around my 15th batch of beer. I started out with a mr beer kit my brothers bought me for a wedding gift. Like most beginners I started out with all extract and I have now done 2, 5 gallon AG batches but really I mostly just partial mash now. Honestly some of the best beer i've made was without following a real recipe and just trying a few different base malts, specialty grains and hops with some LME. I read alot of these "Pros" downing guys with extract recipes and it reminds me when I used to Snowboard and all the skiers hated snowboarders and vice versa. I think getting my brothers together with me and making a batch, all while drinking and having a good time is what really makes homebrewing a wonderful thing. Cheers

Old 09-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I love making beer and learning more about it. Doesn't matter what method.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
mlyday
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

I think process is much more important. Some of my best beers were extract, but those beers I had fresh extract , spot on temp control, and the patience to wait until they were ready. But with that being said the feeling you get from taking a bag of grain, water, hops, and yeast and making the beer cant be beat. I would love to do all-grain everytime, but with kids the time doesnt always allow for that. Knowing I can make great extract batches is just a bonus.
mscott5205 Likes This 
Old 09-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3024 Times on 2606 Posts
Likes Given: 2137

Regardless of method,good or bad beer can be made. It takes a good process,good recipe,& fresh ingredients all together to make good beer. My stove heating elements just came in,so if all works well,my 1st PM kit will be brewed this weekend.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I started extract like most, then switched to AG 3 years ago or so. I like AG more, and its so much less expensive than extract. To each his own though, its all about what you want/like.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
starrfish
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I was a bit surprised to see White House beer recipes were an extract base but hey...
Maybe guy making the beer hasn't made the leap to all grain (heard it was the White House Chefs making and President purchased kit),
Maybe it's a time issue (I could pound out an extract batch on a weeknight after work... not so much with an All-Grain).
whatever the reason, whatever the method, I think it's great...

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 09-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I don't see why people knock on extract. Ingredients are just ingredients, but the brewer's skill is what really separates the men from the boys, so to speak.

Like I've said before, I've had EXCELLENT extract brews and TERRIBLE all-grain brews. It's all in the brewer's skill.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
Baileyforlife
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyday View Post
I think process is much more important. Some of my best beers were extract, but those beers I had fresh extract , spot on temp control, and the patience to wait until they were ready. But with that being said the feeling you get from taking a bag of grain, water, hops, and yeast and making the beer cant be beat. I would love to do all-grain everytime, but with kids the time doesnt always allow for that. Knowing I can make great extract batches is just a bonus.
I have my first baby coming at the end of this month and doing a all grain batch will be tough for a awhile after. Hell I gotta keep all my beer talk to a minimum around my wife right now anyways, she's cool with my homebrewing but at 9 months pregnant anything will set her off, lol

Old 09-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
3sheetsEMJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The comment was made in another thread with the same topic that beginners tend to start with extract, and being beginners will tend to make more mistakes in the process, whereas an AG brewer with 3+ yrs of experience will make far less mistakes. The results of the novice extract brew will inevitably be lower quality than the experienced brewers version. So logically its not necessarily valid to say extract is not as good since the brewer has less experience and may not fully understand the brewing process. Its the same in baking, cooking, BBQing, experts tend to use the best ingredients, but even if they dont they have the experience to make the meal delicious regardless of ingredients because they understand process. Additionally extract (especially LME) can has a short shelf life, so brewing with stale extract can lead to bad results. So its not an apples to apples argument. The only way to say one way or another is to be scientific and keep everything constant- same brewer, recipe, conditions, process, etc, and the only difference being AG or extract. From nearly every brewer I know they say they prefer AG, but they know they can make a dynamite brew from extract...

Old 09-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
Horseballs
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Personally it was disappointing to find out that the Whitehouse beers were extract. Not because there is anything wrong with extract beers, but because it is the freakin' Whitehouse - I would expect more from them. Those recipes were like the equivalent of making pie with pre-bought dough rather than rolling out your own, which is suitable for lots of situations but not in my opinion for the Whitehouse and the president of the United States.