Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Kettle Bulkhead for E-BIAB

Old 09-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
MDF99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kettle Bulkhead for E-BIAB

Hi guys, I'm a new brewer and have a 16 gallon stainless stock pot I'm setting up for E-BIAB.

I'm thinking of running a bulkhead (drain) straight down through the bottom of the kettle, rather than out the side. I would set-up my brew cart to accommodate this arrangement by drilling a hole through the top for the bulkhead to sit over. The kettle has sloping sides @ bottom that would make a side drain be a couple inches above the bottom.

With an E-BIAB setup, can anyone see a bottom drain causing any problems?

Old 09-07-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
Junkster
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Nope! I'm building one with a bottom drain (keggle) as well to eliminate a pickup tube and to allow the electric element to be mounted as low as possible. Mine is permanently mounted in a cart and will be cleaned in place.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
MDF99
Recipes 

Well, I decided to go with a hole through the side of the pot after all with a pickup tube. My kettle has the thick multi layered bottom and I decided it would be easier to punch through the side than drill a 7/8" hole through a half inch of layered metal and potentially muck something up.