Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Keg and Barrel
Old 09-07-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 70 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Keg and Barrel

First, let me state for the record, that I am in no way affiliated with the Keg and Barrel Brew House, Southern Prohibition Brewery, or the Raise your Pints organization other than being a supporter of RYP, a fan of good beer such as the kind brewed by SPB, and a very recent 1st time patron of K&B.

With that being said, on with the story. I am a fairly new transplant to the Hattiesburg area, and until recently, had not even heard of Keg and Barrel. Shortly after getting here and discovering that Home brewing was not legal, I started looking to see what was being done about it. I found Raise your Pints, and became a supporter of their efforts to legalize home brewing in Mississippi. This ended my involvement with the Hattiesburg home brew scene.

Then, through HBT, I sold a couple of extra cornies to a Jackson brewer, and while searching for a place to meet, Keg and Barrel came up in the search engine. Unfortunately, the time we selected to meet, K&B was closed and we ended up meeting in a sporting goods store parking lot to talk and complete our transaction. I then forgot all about it. Well, I also listen to Basic Brewing Podcast, and James was talking about the K&B and Ben, the brewer for Southern Prohibition. This made me decide to make an effort to get there to see what it was all about.

As I live about 15 to 20 miles from Hattiesburg, it was not too much of a stretch to head over and check it all out for myself. I walked in to a fairly unassuming building, then look over at a wall of taps...... I mean a wall of taps..... They had a pile of craft beer on tap, and some of their own in-house brews available. The wait staff was very friendly, and the local patrons were also nice and drinking some of the plentiful offerings. I sat at the bar, ordered a Black IPA, and started up a conversation with a fellow customer. We chatted about beer, then homebrew, and then the subject of the legal status of brewing in MS came up.

The bartender, a very personable young lady knowledgeable about what was on tap, pointed out to me that the President of Raise your Pints Mr. Butch Bailey was standing right next to me. I introduced myself, and he introduced me to Quinby Chunn and Ben Green of Southern Prohibition Brewing. For a small time home brewer such as myself, it was a really a treat.

The chance to talk to brewers such as myself, (but on a much higher / commercial level) was awesome. Everyone was extremely friendly and I had an excellent time. I even got an invite to the local home brew club, and plan to attend this coming Sunday. All in all, a good day for beer.

AHA Member, Mississippi Brewer's Guild, Hattiesburg Beer Club, Raise Your Pints, and Outlaw Homebrewer

Eschew obfuscation
People Like This