I need to share this with someone and I've come to the conclusion that I need to do that here because none of my friends/family brew and they all look at me like I'm speaking gibberish when I talk about stuff like this.
Like the title says, I did the NB dead ringer for my first all grain batch yesterday. I didn't take too many notes for the first one since I was more worried about getting one under my belt than anything, but got the gravities and approximate volumes.
12Lbs of grain into the MLT (10 gal victory cooler with braided loop) with 6 gallons water. Mash temp ended up at 151 (instead of 153 per directions, oh well), and lost 2-3 degrees over the hour.
Got roughly 4 gallons out. Heated 3 gallons to 175 for sparge, added just over 2 gallons to get me to 6 preboil. Boil gravity was about 1.054 so following the efficiency calculations from Palmer (gravity points X gallons collected / lbs of grain) I think i hit about 75% extract efficiency.
Lost more than I expected to evaporation during the boil, so I'll have to adjust in the future. Ended up with about 4.5 gallons in the carboy, but the FG was dead on at 1.064.
Got down to 80ish with the chiller, racked to the carboy and put it in the cellar to cool down the rest of the way. Pitched US-05 this morning at about 72.
Cannot wait to try this one and see how I did!