Ruh-Oh (diacetyl rest / double batch question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeintoledo

Reaction score
My first time brewing with a larger kettle produced two carboys of Oktoberfest lager that is fermenting away in my lager fridge @ about 53 degrees. It never occurred to me that two seperate smack packs of Oktoberfest Blend from Wyeast would ferment at different rates.

Just did a grav check approaching the time I should do a Diacetyl rest, and I find one at 1.022-1.020, and the second at 1.016.

One's beating the other to the end. expected FG should be about 1.014.

My question--I can't do a diacetyl rest for just ONE of the two batches, without pulling the other out to ferment @ room temp.

Should I wait for both batches to reach approx. final gravity, or do the diacetyl rest while one is within 0.002 points of FG, and the other is 0.007 points away?

Thanx in Advance,

My first time brewing with a larger kettle produced two carboys of Oktoberfest lager that is fermenting away in my lager fridge @ about 53 degrees. It never occurred to me that two seperate smack packs of Oktoberfest Blend from Wyeast would ferment at different rates.

Just did a grav check approaching the time I should do a Diacetyl rest, and I find one at 1.022-1.020, and the second at 1.016.

One's beating the other to the end. expected FG should be about 1.014.

My question--I can't do a diacetyl rest for just ONE of the two batches, without pulling the other out to ferment @ room temp.

Should I wait for both batches to reach approx. final gravity, or do the diacetyl rest while one is within 0.002 points of FG, and the other is 0.007 points away?

Thanx in Advance,

Oh, sure, do the diacetyl rest on both now. That's fine!

Interestingly, my beer has only taken just about 6-7 days to ferment from 1.047 to 1.02.

Back