BIAB Pumpkin Ale? - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Pumpkin Ale?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #21
Chris7687
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Posts: 546
Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts


For those brewing a 5.5g BIAB batch, what was your starting amount of water? I have the same grain bill a little different weights. 12.5# 2-Row, 1.5# Crystal 60, and 1# Victory. Beer Review Dude BIAB Calculator gives me a 8.4g strike water, but I calculated on another calculator (can't seem to find it now) and it gave me 9 gallons. I've been missing my 5.5 gallon amount lately, so I want to say the Beer Review Dude calculator is off but just wanted a second opinion. Not sure how to account for the pumpkin either; more, less, or the same water?

Secondly, When should I add the 1lb of brown sugar? The recipe calls for 60 min additions but I have read different opinions.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #22
Mysticmead
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Kingston, GA
Posts: 1,342
Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687 View Post
For those brewing a 5.5g BIAB batch, what was your starting amount of water? I have the same grain bill a little different weights. 12.5# 2-Row, 1.5# Crystal 60, and 1# Victory. Beer Review Dude BIAB Calculator gives me a 8.4g strike water, but I calculated on another calculator (can't seem to find it now) and it gave me 9 gallons. I've been missing my 5.5 gallon amount lately, so I want to say the Beer Review Dude calculator is off but just wanted a second opinion. Not sure how to account for the pumpkin either; more, less, or the same water?

Secondly, When should I add the 1lb of brown sugar? The recipe calls for 60 min additions but I have read different opinions.
it all depends on how much you boil off and if you squeeze the bag or not.

I use this formula
grain weight * .066 = absorption
batch size + absorption + boil off + trub loss = water needed

8 gallons but I squeeze the hell out of the bag and only lose .25 gallons to trub with a boil off of 1.25 gallons per hour. Adjust your numbers for your system. once you have a few under your belt you'll know what you need to adjust in the formula to get the numbers you need.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #23
kmos
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
kmos's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Bryan, TX
Posts: 139
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts


I guessed and brewed with 8 gallons, but came up short (probably fermented around 4.75 gal) -- rookie mistake, I'm still figuring out my new brew system. Depending on how rigorous a boil you do and the size of your pot, I might recommend going for the 9 gallons. As for the pumpkin, I didn't lose a lot of water there, it will drain out pretty well.

I went ahead and did the 60min addition for brown sugar. Since it was my first time brewing this recipe, I figured I would stay pretty close to the original.
__________________
Homebrew Blog

Primary: Saison; German Black Ale;
Secondary: n/a
In the Barrel: English Mild;
Bottled/Kegged: Oud Bruin (ECY23); English Mild;
Up Next: Ordinary Bitter;

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #24
kmos
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
kmos's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Bryan, TX
Posts: 139
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
it all depends on how much you boil off and if you squeeze the bag or not.
I should note that I was having crazy boil-control issues with this beer (my OG was way higher than I meant it to be -- I wish I could say it was because of my awesome efficiency ). This, plus the fact that it's hard to squeeze this much grain without some sort of pulley rig or something to help you out, is where I went awry and came up short. YMMV
__________________
Homebrew Blog

Primary: Saison; German Black Ale;
Secondary: n/a
In the Barrel: English Mild;
Bottled/Kegged: Oud Bruin (ECY23); English Mild;
Up Next: Ordinary Bitter;

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #25
Mysticmead
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Kingston, GA
Posts: 1,342
Liked 92 Times on 62 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kmos View Post
I should note that I was having crazy boil-control issues with this beer (my OG was way higher than I meant it to be -- I wish I could say it was because of my awesome efficiency ). This, plus the fact that it's hard to squeeze this much grain without some sort of pulley rig or something to help you out, is where I went awry and came up short. YMMV

use a second pot. place a veggie steamer or colander in it upside down. then use a lid that's small enough to fit inside the pot to press the grain bag or a cake rack or bbq grill grate (never used for cooking) over the brew pot and then using a lid to press the grain bag works too

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #26
kmos
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
kmos's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Bryan, TX
Posts: 139
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
use a second pot. place a veggie steamer or colander in it upside down. then use a lid that's small enough to fit inside the pot to press the grain bag or a cake rack or bbq grill grate (never used for cooking) over the brew pot and then using a lid to press the grain bag works too
This is why I love HBT -- Thank you, sir! I will put it in action this weekend!
__________________
Homebrew Blog

Primary: Saison; German Black Ale;
Secondary: n/a
In the Barrel: English Mild;
Bottled/Kegged: Oud Bruin (ECY23); English Mild;
Up Next: Ordinary Bitter;

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #27
wheathead
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Swanton, OH
Posts: 77
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Great thread with plenty of ideas/lessons & timely too. I'm going to brew a pumkin ale this weekend after having gathered the ingredients.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #28
Chris7687
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Posts: 546
Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts


Think I'll go with 9 gallons to be safe. Mystic I do that, set my grain bag in the "steamer basket" that came with my 11 gallon kettle and it drains perfectly, get at least another .75-1 gallon back.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #29
Doed
Belching Dog Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Doed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Steeleville, IL
Posts: 568
Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts


The recipe I used, back on post #7, with my 62qt Bayou Classic pot, shooting for the 5 gallon batch, I started with 8.1 gallons this gave me 7.3 gallons pre-boil and 5.75 post boil with a little over 5 gallons into the fermentor.

Get a pot with a steamer basket for BIAB, it makes lifting the bag out of the water much easier.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #30
MMJfan
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Wooster, OH, Ohio
Posts: 813
Liked 68 Times on 55 Posts


I have what might be a silly question, but I am new to BIAB and have been doing all extract brewing to this point. I brewed an extract pumpkin ale and my recipe called for the pumpkin to be added at 60 minutes of the boil with the first hop addition. Is there a reason you have to add the pumpkin in your grain bag when doing BIAB and why couldn't you just add the pumpkin at 60 minutes of the boil like you would in an extract recipe?

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article: How To Brew Pumpkin Beer in a Pumpkin, in 20 Easy Steps Picobrew All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 08-09-2014 03:54 PM
Pumpkin ale boiling pumpkin question Zokfend All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 09-05-2012 04:04 AM
How much pumpkin pie spice in pumpkin ale freebd All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 14 09-19-2011 12:30 PM
A nice Podcast on BIAB from one of the Pioneers of BIAB gunner65 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 0 02-26-2011 01:24 AM
Making a pumpkin beer in a pumpkin shredderator All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 10-22-2009 10:47 PM


Forum Jump