Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > The beer that got you into beer

Old 09-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #41
libeerty
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
Samuel Smiths stout pulled me out of the Schlitz wasteland.
Their oatmeal stout for me! I was wandering around a concert parking lot and some hippie was selling it. It was the most delicious thing I ever drank. Been chasing the dragon ever since.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #42
JordanThomas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by libeerty View Post
Their oatmeal stout for me! I was wandering around a concert parking lot and some hippie was selling it. It was the most delicious thing I ever drank. Been chasing the dragon ever since.
Just had their India Ale for the first time over the weekend. WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG TO TRY IT?! So good.

libeerty Likes This 
Old 09-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #43
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 12

In 1990 I tried Pete's Wicked Ale, back then there wasn't a lot of craft beer on the market so this was really different. I liked it and started brewing my own 3 years later.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #44
Tenspeed
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Mac & Jack's African Amber was the first non-BMC beer I drank and is still the one I ask for first. I've seen some folks on this board talk about how it's overhyped but I don't really think it is. I like other beers fine but Mac & Jack's is like the beer version of the worn t-shirt you can't part with because it's just so damn comfortable. Maybe it's not the most stylish, maybe it's frayed and threadbare, but damn if it doesn't feel good.

#1: Empty
#2: EdWort's Apfelwein
Mr. Beer: Empty
Bottled: Cherry Apple Cider, Red Ale

Old 09-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #45
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Had a buddy that was stationed in Germany with his Guard Unit during Desert Storm, who brought back a bunch of Hefeweizen. Don't even remember which brands he had, but that was the first time I had something besides the "normal BMC" (including Killian's etc in the BMC mix)

Old 09-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #46
phuff7129
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I am an old guy and I grew up drinking whatever BMC was cheapest. I had a client take me to a British bar and we shared a pitcher of Bass Ale. I then knew I liked beer with flavor! I would try imports whenever I could and sometimes in my travels I would find a brew pub that had great beer. I was lucky enough to go to Belgium and enjoy beer nirvana. It wasn't until I was out on the west coast and was intrigued by the "You're not worthy" slogan on a bottle of Arrogant Bastard. They were daring me to try it and I then realized that there was something to this whole craft beer thing. That was it. I started trying every craft beer I could lay my hands on and then my son suggested that I try brewing my own. Best suggestion I ever got!

Old 09-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #47
DromJohn
5 Gallon Partial-Something Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 143

Brauerei Gold Ochsen Kellerbier Dunkel

Age 11
Drinking: Cherry Porter; NB La Petite Orange Blanche; NB The Plinian Legacy; Val-Dieu Triple; Redhook 8-4-1 Expedition Ale; Avery The Czar Imperial Stout; MŁnchen Haken Besonderes Bitter (Redhook ESB II); Terrapin Reunion '10.
Bottled: Bush de NoŽl (Scaldis NoŽl) (first taste 16 November 2015); Innis & Gunn Rum Aged (first taste 22 August 2015).
Untappd: DromJohn

Old 09-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #48
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2096

Well,as far as craft beers & imports are concerned,it was some 29 years ago when my #2 son was in the hospital for open heart surgery. It was in Cleveland,& we wandered over to the corner from McDonald house where we were staying. Walked a little ways down a side parking lot & found a little English pub called The Elizabethan Club. Carved teakwood,with a piano & stand up bass man playin jazz. We sat at the bar,& I asked if they had any real English beer that I could try. The piano player was apparently listening,& gave me most of his bottle of bass ale after pouring a glass.
Needless to say,I was diggin it. Wife didn't think it was too shabby either. I was hooked into exploring this further. Tried more English ales,German beers,too. Loved the bock & Octoberfest. Made the rounds of these beers till January of last year when I got my first brewing kit. Then went to pale ales,Salvator doppel bock,Belgians,porters,stouts (other than guiness)...you get the picture. My new stove heating elements are to arrive tomorrow,so I may get started on that PM cascade pale ale that's been waiting so patiently to be brewed. If it turns out as reported,I may never buy SNPA again...

Old 09-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #49
Beerbeque
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Another old guy here. For me it was Dos Equis, Noche Buena, Lowenbrau and whatever German imports I could find. That was long before Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada existed.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #50
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2096

Yeah man,I hear that. Not a lot of belgians & all this stuff they have now either.