The Hunger Games is a horrible turd of a film. - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The Hunger Games is a horrible turd of a film.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5019 Times on 3389 Posts

To each their own. I wouldn't classify it as a "work of art", but it was an entertaining film. The trick is to not think about whether it makes good sense or fits reality.

It's fiction, after all.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #12
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Apr 2009
middle of nowhere
Liked 183 Times on 136 Posts

The original movie was great...Arnold Schwarzenegger, Richard Dawson, Jim Brown...The running man circa 1987.

People Like This 
Old 09-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #13
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 7030 Times on 4162 Posts

I liked the book, but not enough to read the rest of the series.

I like the movie, and I would see the sequels. I went with my family of 5, so that might have put some shine on it. Still, I thought it was captivating, and compared well with the book.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #14
Galek
Recipes 

Jan 2010
USA
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Having read the book the movie would be more appealing. You have in the back of your head the reason all the characters act the way they do, something you take for granted when watching on screen. They also dumbed down the violence to get younger people allowed into the theatre. Don't get me wrong, I am not condoning having to read the book for a movie to be good just explaining why it is better for those that have read it.

I thought it was OK, nothing special. I would watch it until a commercial break if I came across it on TV.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #15
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Visalia, CA
Liked 126 Times on 102 Posts

The action at the center of the film -- the fact that all the parents across all of "Pan Am" are offering up their precious target-audience-aged tweens to die -- is not justified in the film. It's not like in the essay "The Lottery" where there is a heavy sense as to why terrible/violent customs are party of their society. In this movie we're offered a one minute exchange between two TV personalities and a worthless propaganda reel. It doesn't make sense that anyone goes along with anything in the first place.

Then the red-dressed "queen" of District 12 states "our first volunteer tribute!" I rolled my eyes. Really? 74 years of hunger games and no older sibling in Dist. 12 has EVER stepped in to spare their 12 year old brother/sister a violent death? Really?

I argue that films have to make good sense -- especially fiction -- if it's going to hold my attention. Otherwise you end up with a meaningless series of action sequences, which is not good cinema in my opinion.

...and the whole changing of the games rules (three times!) was some of the worst writing I've ever seen. If feels like a teenager wrote it. "OK, now that they beat the final bully-kid, let's change the rules and tell them they DO have to kill each other! What a TWISTED ending har har har!" Nere mind letting surviving partners pair up gives an unfair disadvantage to the districts who had already lost one player. There would be outrage on a mass scale!

I'm sure the teens loved it. I'll pass for something made for adults, by adults.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #16
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Aug 2012
minneapolis, minnesota
Liked 127 Times on 114 Posts

I still can't wrap my head around the entire concept of this movie. Correct me if I'm wrong here but it sounds like to me every so often they steal kids from their parents and force them to fight to the death so that people won't revolt?!? If parents love anything it is their children, how would this not increase the likelihood of a revolt? Why not just kill the adults?

Old 09-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #17
Barnzy02
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts

Revvy beat me to it.

Go watch Battle Royale and be fully entertained.

Keg - PennsPorter - Vanilla Porter
Keg - Rye Pale Ale

Pennsport Brewing

Old 09-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
krenshaw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Lancaster, PA
Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts

for hunger games.. books 2 and 3 were much better than the first IMO.. first one really just sets the scene for the rest.. the movie was OK, though i am looking forward to seeing how to show the other 2..

and there is nothing wrong with adults reading adolescent fiction.. i use it as a break between more "adult" themed books, though one can easily argue that the hunger games is more adult themed than most adolescent fiction..

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries: oxy :-(
Keg 1: Brown Ale | Keg 2: Porter | Keg 3: Belgian Wit
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Revvy Likes This 
Old 09-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #19
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3200 Times on 1888 Posts

Funny we're talking about this today. The Quiet Earth Blog just posted this;

Quote:
Here's THE HUNGER GAMES I Wanted to See

Like a lot of directors vying for the job of bringing The Hunger Games to the screen, Kevin Tancharoen (Mortal Kombat: Legacy) put together a pitch reel to showcase the tone and look of the movie that he wanted to make. Ultimately Lionsgate went with Gary Ross, but this is The Hunger Games I wanted to see - a film that fully committed to its violent dystopian world.

While concept art and treatments used to fit the bill, edited reels like this one below are commonly put together for pitch meetings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcXf9...layer_embedded
We could have had this?!?!

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #20
Beer-lord

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Burbs of the Big Easy, La
Liked 184 Times on 148 Posts

Books 1&2 were good, book 3 was bad and ended like.....well, nevermind in case you're reading this.
The movie was so-so and proof that people will do anything if you advertise enough for it. I know more people who thought the movie was a let down than those that said it exceeded their expectations.
Had I not read the book, I'd a never seen the movie.