Enjoying first homemade booch - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Enjoying first homemade booch

Old 09-06-2012, 01:47 AM   #1
porcupine73
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Fort Meade
Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

Yah I'm finally enjoying some of the first of my homemade booch. I don't know what else to call it. It's a bit rough around the edges and tastes a bit wild, but it's only a few weeks old. It's pretty dry. I forget all that is in it, a gallon jar with water, sugar, molasses, lemon, ginger, raisins, lime, a touch of honey, champagne yeast.

I racked half of it into a 1/2 gallon jar with a little sugar to try to carbonate it a bit. The rest I racked into a solo cup (yes it's red too) and a quart jar for immediate enjoyment.

It's pretty dry, which is fine, that's how I like it. Hmmmmm it does pack a bit of a kick, so I'm counting this one a success! I'm glad I started a 6.5g carboy of it about a week ago because this will run out quickly.

Something about this 'rough around the edges' taste makes me think if I drink too much I'm going to really regret it in the morning. Hm yes nice kick though, like a strong wine. I think I used a bit over 2 lbs sweetener in the gallon so I think this should finish around 12% maybe?

Old 09-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4855 Times on 3272 Posts

Ib4tl!

Old 09-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
CGish
Eternal Tinkerer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Sidney, Ohio
Liked 76 Times on 58 Posts

So ... you just threw fermentables, citric acid, and a little spice in a gallon of water, topped it off with a yeast that leaves little or no residual sweetness, and you are drinking it straight out of the fermenter?

No offense, man, but that sounds truly awful.

If I may ask, what were you hoping to accomplish by subjecting us to ... um I mean ... sharing this with us?
Brewing is science, math, chemistry, biochemics, horticulture and culinary arts rolled into one, yet comes out to become a beautiful smooth sensual thing that brings out the idiot in everyone! - kybar

lowlife Likes This 
Old 09-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
rhamilton
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Austin, Texas
Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts

Sounds like he's posting from Ad-Seg.

Tell the warden I said hello
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

People Like This 
Old 09-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
porcupine73
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Fort Meade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGish
So ... you just threw fermentables, citric acid, and a little spice in a gallon of water, topped it off with a yeast that leaves little or no residual sweetness, and you are drinking it straight out of the fermenter?

No offense, man, but that sounds truly awful:
Well when you put it that way that is pretty much what I did. Its my first brew attempt, it isn't too bad I think it will improve with age.

Got to go, Warden Jenkins says my internet time is up for the day.

sodypop Likes This 
Old 09-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
porcupine73
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Fort Meade

Hm this stuff isn't bad at all. Even after aging for just a week in 1/2 gallon bottles it's smoothed out a lot. It does have a nice kick. I don't like the lemon taste in it at all though, definitely going to skip the lemons in any future batches.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Southern Oregon
Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts

Maybe replace the lemons with windex. Might help clear it up a bit more.

People Like This 
Old 09-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
porcupine73
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Fort Meade

Ok great I think I can sneak some windex off the cleaning cart by the latrines. Phew tough crowd haha.

It's actually mellowing out a bit more, it is now reminiscent of a young dandelion wine.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
porcupine73
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Fort Meade

Hm ... interesting ... after enjoying some of this brew each night for the last few days it's starting to grow on me and I like it ... it is actually quite energizing and it doesn't have a morning after affect which I attribute to having used quality ingredients and no sulfites, clarifiers, preservatives or anything like that ... the slight vinyl aftertaste is even starting to go away ... I can't wait for the larger carboys of the roughly 15% predicted adbv batches to be ready, they've been bubbling away for a couple weeks now.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Isle of Staten
Liked 855 Times on 626 Posts

You're getting the 'tough crowd' treatment because this website is overwhelmingly populated by people who strive to make exceptional beer, not anything even remotely resembling 'hooch'.

People Like This