Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Recommendations for Muscadine Ale

Old 09-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Lumbee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Recommendations for Muscadine Ale

I was home visiting my folks in southeastern NC over the holidy weekend and picked 3 gallon freezer bags of red muscadine grapes. A quick google search did not yeild much. I found these to links...

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/5-seaso...ine-ale/79259/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/musc...recipes-37111/

Anyone experimented with Muscadines, or if you know the flavor of the Muscadine reds, do you have a recommendation on a beer I should use? Dark...light. I would really like the grape flavor to come through as much as possible so I am leaning toward something light. Either an American Aile, or Belgium Wit.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
chipsmcghee
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

i would skip the beer and make mead with them. i am from mississippi and muscadines are fantastic by themselves. ofcourse you know this too but i thought i would add my two cents since i don't have a good ale recipe for them. 3 gallon bags of muscadines sounds really great! enjoy!

Old 09-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
Lumbee
Recipes 

...thanks for the suggestion chips. My family has a winery, so I have all the sweet wine I can drink! Really want to try something different with it.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
tugbucket
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You could do a close clone of Midas Touch:

http://www.byo.com/stories/recipeind...as-touch-clone

And if you wanted to go sour, you'd probably have to adjust the ABV some but 3 freezer bags of Muscadines aren't going to equal 2 lbs of Muscat grape concentrate.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
Lumbee
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugbucket View Post
...3 freezer bags of Muscadines aren't going to equal 2 lbs of Muscat grape concentrate.
Thanks for the link. I will probably do a half batch, so with 3 gallons (rather than 5) I should have more grape flavor.