Promash - Page 7 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Promash

Old 11-18-2005, 04:04 AM   #61
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Nov 2004
Beaumont, Texas
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

got 'er done! thanks guy's. just hadn't fooled around w/ it enough.

Old 11-28-2005, 07:36 AM   #62
Johnwongfat
Recipes 

Oct 2005
The aforementioned California

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
We're all web developers here...and frustrated musicians.
Lol, I noticed that trend as well, computer geeks and musicians (I'm both, networking guy and crappy guitarist).

I've been researching AG and find myself more and more interested, which means I'll most likely end up going AG within a month or so, as soon as the money tree blossoms... I have a question: all the recipes say to mash at 152 degrees or whatever, and I understand you use an insulated tun, but will that really keep you mash at the appropriate tempature for a full 60 miutes, or do you periodically have to add hot water to keep it up to temperature? Is starting off with partial mash recipes a recommended approach or should I just look at it like the freezing swimming pool, and jump right into the real thing? I'm still pretty new to brewing in general, hoping to fire out my 7th batch tomorrow, so I'm no expert. Should I stick with extract a bit longer? Most of the posts I've read about converting to AG sound like the converting to kegging posts, i.e. "I wish I'd switched sooner", "I will never go back", that kind of thing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-28-2005, 04:21 PM   #63
gibfried

Recipes 

Aug 2005
OZARKS

With a good rubbermaid cooler, you'll have no problem keeping her at a steady temperature for 90 min.

Primary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Aging: Ugly Monk Belgium Abbey
Drinking: Heavenly Honey Wheat,Chocolate Stout, London Porter, Big Fat Fatty's Oatmeal Stout, Pete's Porter, California Not So Common, Ugly Monk Belgium Abbey, Maple Brown
Upcoming Brew: Bass Clone, Fosters (a light drink for those who think beer has to be light).

Old 11-28-2005, 04:31 PM   #64
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2005
Barony of Fuquay-Varina, NC
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I tried out my new 36qt Coleman Extreme yesterday and it went from 153F to 151F in 75m which included opening the lid at 10m to check the temp and again at 30m to give it a stir. This was in a 50F garage. As long as you buy a cooler with decent insulation you'll have no trouble maintaining the temp without any additional infusions.

Old 11-28-2005, 08:57 PM   #65
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Nov 2004
Beaumont, Texas
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

w/ my keg conversion mash tun, wrapped in my thermal insulation blanket, i lose a few degrees over a 60 minute mash. the core temp hasn't changed hardly at all. plus, your not going to get a uniform temp throught the mash in a single infusion.