New way to control Pellet Hop gunk! - Page 53 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #521
marcb
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,110
Liked 209 Times on 144 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by swackattack
So what are your feelings
I feel that the niners need to do a better job crushing the ravens

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #522
marcb
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,110
Liked 209 Times on 144 Posts


Quick dump and rinse with the hose and both are good as new!
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-6391118.jpg
Views:	840
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	98687  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #523
marcb
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,110
Liked 209 Times on 144 Posts


So the long and short of this is: the 400 definitely let more hop gunk through but didn't circulate the wort any better (IMHO) there was no boiling going on in either basket although you could see roughly equal movement in both baskets. The 400 probably drained quicker but I couldn't tell because the lid was on. Luckily my false bottom caught most of the gunk as none of it really made it into my plate chiller so cleanup was really a snap. Both baskets were equally loaded with 17.5 oz of pellets each and stirred vigorously at each addition. My druthers would be to opt for the 300. I think the 400 will work fine for people that aren't using plate chillers but I don't think there is a huge difference. Draining may be an issue for some with the 300 but I have overcome this by leaving the basket in while pumping into the fermenter. More thoughts pending!

jawe Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #524
ScubaSteve
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
ScubaSteve's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
New Bern, NC
Posts: 3,677
Liked 83 Times on 57 Posts


Very nice! You definitely put these things to the test. Looks like the FB really caught quite a bit of gunk. For the amount of surface area it has, I think it kept an aful lot of particulates out of the chiller and fermenter...not to mention it would have combined with the cold break and could very well have clogged things up!

That's gonna be one hell of a hoppy beer!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #525
Chamuco
 
Chamuco's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
San Rafael, CA
Posts: 376
Liked 161 Times on 81 Posts


Thanks for all the photos Marc......what a day!?,! At least you pulled of a win with 20 gallons of Pliny! I just added a 300 strainer to my wishlist. How'd the tankless water heater perform?
__________________
Beer, beer, good for the heart.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #526
marcb
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,110
Liked 209 Times on 144 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamuco
Thanks for all the photos Marc......what a day!?,! At least you pulled of a win with 20 gallons of Pliny! I just added a 300 strainer to my wishlist. How'd the tankless water heater perform?
Flipping awesome, single best investment I've made, my brew day wasn't shorter though due to a whole bunch of other "fun" things that happened like a QD popping apart and spraying wort all over the place. I fixed that in a hurry though and hosed everything down - including my control panel....thankfully I use a gfi on my extension cord.

nvrstck Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #527
marcb
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,110
Liked 209 Times on 144 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Very nice! You definitely put these things to the test. Looks like the FB really caught quite a bit of gunk. For the amount of surface area it has, I think it kept an aful lot of particulates out of the chiller and fermenter...not to mention it would have combined with the cold break and could very well have clogged things up!

That's gonna be one hell of a hoppy beer!
I wanted to get the most out of my flameout hops so I recirculated while chilling (kept the whirlpool loop going) as opposed to pumping out directly into the fermenter. My dual therminator chiller setup was working well yesterday and the output temp was 60 just using hose water. So I recirculated until it dropped down to about 110 (so about 5 minutes or so) and then pumped into the fermenter. When I started my cleaning cycle (which was superfast as I have a tankless water cart now) there was literally no debris in the chillers at all. I did a 20 min PBW flush with 160 degree water and then a 20 min hot rinse cycle with 160 degree water and both were clean and clear.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #528
marcb
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,110
Liked 209 Times on 144 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
I wanted to get the most out of my flameout hops so I recirculated while chilling (kept the whirlpool loop going) as opposed to pumping out directly into the fermenter. My dual therminator chiller setup was working well yesterday and the output temp was 60 just using hose water. So I recirculated until it dropped down to about 110 (so about 5 minutes or so) and then pumped into the fermenter. When I started my cleaning cycle (which was superfast as I have a tankless water cart now) there was literally no debris in the chillers at all. I did a 20 min PBW flush with 160 degree water and then a 20 min hot rinse cycle with 160 degree water and both were clean and clear.
I forgot that I posted pics of this as well, last two pics were the cleaning cycle, first with PBW, second with just hot water.... notice how clear and free of hop gunk it is!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #529
Hammertime1
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Knoxville, Tennessee
Posts: 34
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Used a 300 mesh this weekend, worked great!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #530
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
stonebrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
rockville, md
Posts: 1,560
Liked 193 Times on 166 Posts


I just ordered a 400 and it is in the mail. Guess I should have waited a week longer for your results, but honestly I think I will be fine as I have been using just a bazooka tube in the past and I have had no problems with my plate chiller or pumps in that regard. Chad banged a custom spider out for me over the weekend and I am sure it is going to make my brew day a little easier and more relaxing. I will post some pix when I get around to my next brew day...

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning gunk in the bottom of bottles jfr1111 Equipment/Sanitation 7 09-22-2014 06:44 PM
Aeration Wand - Help Me Get Gunk out of the tube! BrewThruYou Equipment/Sanitation 8 01-04-2013 11:59 PM
ID this gunk please OregonBrews Equipment/Sanitation 3 08-09-2010 01:10 AM
Better Bottle and blowoff gunk winvarin Equipment/Sanitation 7 07-27-2010 01:28 PM
How much gunk? JerD Equipment/Sanitation 1 07-21-2010 01:33 AM


Forum Jump