New way to control Pellet Hop gunk! - Page 49 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #481
marcb
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,109
Liked 191 Times on 131 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
awesome! take lots of pix, and/or a video, especially of what the two filters look like after the boil (i.e. put an equal amount of hops in each basket and then see how much was retained. requires splitting all your hop additions in half).
Sweetcell - thanks, will do. Any other specific request from the rest of the subscribers? Let me know and I'll happily oblige with specific pics etc during the process. Being as though this is my first day with my shiny new tankless water heater I may be able to pull it off in under 5 hours (that's my goal anyways!) so I may attempt it the morning of the SuperBowl!

This will be my PTE Clone 20 Gallon batch with over 2lbs of hops in the boil (I don't do mash hopping as the grain all goes to my chickens) I will split the hop bill additions in half, one half going into the 300 and one half going into the 400. I know what's left in the kettle after the 300 (which is next to nothing on my rig and even with vigorous stirring throughout) so I am looking at the performance of each basket and what is left in the kettle as a worst case scenario for the 400. Any feedback on what is under test?

Now if I can pull off the Super Sunday brew day and still manage to take Monday off, SWMBO decision pending ; ) then I will also do the same with a mild hopped Belgian Trippel as I'm almost dry on my Santa Clara Abbey Ale.



grathan Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #482
uberg33k
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Posts: 364
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
Sweetcell - thanks, will do. Any other specific request from the rest of the subscribers? Let me know and I'll happily oblige with specific pics etc during the process. Being as though this is my first day with my shiny new tankless water heater I may be able to pull it off in under 5 hours (that's my goal anyways!) so I may attempt it the morning of the SuperBowl!

This will be my PTE Clone 20 Gallon batch with over 2lbs of hops in the boil (I don't do mash hopping as the grain all goes to my chickens) I will split the hop bill additions in half, one half going into the 300 and one half going into the 400. I know what's left in the kettle after the 300 (which is next to nothing on my rig and even with vigorous stirring throughout) so I am looking at the performance of each basket and what is left in the kettle as a worst case scenario for the 400. Any feedback on what is under test?

Now if I can pull off the Super Sunday brew day and still manage to take Monday off, SWMBO decision pending ; ) then I will also do the same with a mild hopped Belgian Trippel as I'm almost dry on my Santa Clara Abbey Ale.
Just to be clear, all your hops additions will be pellet, correct?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #483
bovineblitz
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Binghamton, NY
Posts: 2,446
Liked 137 Times on 111 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by marcb View Post
Monday, Feb 4th is the day. View the event live on PPV (I mean HBT), and by live I mean pictures that I will post throughout the day : )
Is the plan to use both in one pot, or two have two side by side pots?

It'd be especially great if you could do side by side identical beers, and fantastic if you could ferment them side by side as well and see if there's any bitterness/hop flavor differences.

That's logistically a bit difficult though. However you're doing it, we'll be interested to see!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #484
marcb
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,109
Liked 191 Times on 131 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz

Is the plan to use both in one pot, or two have two side by side pots?

It'd be especially great if you could do side by side identical beers, and fantastic if you could ferment them side by side as well and see if there's any bitterness/hop flavor differences.

That's logistically a bit difficult though. However you're doing it, we'll be interested to see!
Wow, I'd love to but logistically it's impossible as I ferment in a single temp controlled 27gallon conical. Two kettles aren't likely either as I want one beer for consistency sake. I'm pretty comfortable with what's left behind by the 300 so this is more a measure of circulation and flow in the baskets and we should see whether or not the 400's leave more crap in the kettle than my plate chillers like ; )

I will post some photos of my brew kettle and plan later tonight....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:48 AM   #485
SpeedFlutinator
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessBrewing
Unfortunately I don't have the tooling to make the welded seam to join the mesh. The clamps are very quick to install or uninstall if you decide to use the upper ring with a bag.
Are the rivets and the screws in the hose clamps stainless steel as well? I've heard in the past that some stainless clamps do not have stainless screws which makes them undesirable in the BK. I may be wrong but stainless rivets take a hydraulic press and are not very common.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:49 AM   #486
marcb
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,109
Liked 191 Times on 131 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by uberg33k View Post
Just to be clear, all your hops additions will be pellet, correct?
pellet hops indeed, and will be photographed for good measure!

uberg33k Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:05 AM   #487
StainlessBrewing
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 785
Liked 86 Times on 72 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFlutinator

Are the rivets and the screws in the hose clamps stainless steel as well? I've heard in the past that some stainless clamps do not have stainless screws which makes them undesirable in the BK. I may be wrong but stainless rivets take a hydraulic press and are not very common.
The rivets are stainless and the screws in the clamp are stainless as well. The rivets can be done by hand or hydraulic and are very common in the hardware industry. This has actually been a benefit for some that require a specific height and can trim it to they're desire. The screws that you're talking about are usually a steel screw that has a zinc coating.

As far as the mesh goes, my personal opinion along with others is the #40 mesh or 400 micron. I've used 30, 40 and 60 and think 40 meets both parties as far as straining and hop utilization the best. This is just an opinion. Whatever makes you happy for your style beer is what you should go with.
__________________
Stainless Brewing LLC
Equipment, fittings, valves, tubing, accessories, kegging, custom fabrication and more.
Stainless is Painless at www.stainlessbrewing.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #488
itzkramer
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Cleveland, OH
Posts: 189
Liked 27 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by uberg33k View Post
Sweeeeeeeeeeet. I've been holding off an order because I've been waiting for this show down.
Same here.

I don't use a plate chiller, so I'm mainly interested in wort flow through the basket. From previous pictures it seems as if the 300 always has a lot of very hoppy wort caught up in it.

Id rather let the really fine stuff settle during my whirlpool and have better wort circulation.
__________________
BEER:30 Brewing
Cleveland, OH

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #489
BxBrewer
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Bronx, NY
Posts: 448
Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by itzkramer View Post
Same here.

I don't use a plate chiller, so I'm mainly interested in wort flow through the basket. From previous pictures it seems as if the 300 always has a lot of very hoppy wort caught up in it.

Id rather let the really fine stuff settle during my whirlpool and have better wort circulation.
Im no where near the level of brewing as some of you guys. I do extract brews and have the 300 micron filter. The hops float for a few seconds then drop down. With the wort boiling it boils/bubbles up through the filter "always churning. When stirring the wort you can see the wort flowing through the filter. I stand my filter up in the middle of my chiller when chilling. Once chilling is almost done. I set the filter on top of the chiller to drain "takes 60 seconds or less. The most hops ive used is 5oz in my small filter.

One thing to note is i spray mine out realy well and give it a PBW soak between batches.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #490
jtejedor
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Las Vegas
Posts: 651
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts


Wow mine got shipped the day after I ordered it.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning gunk in the bottom of bottles jfr1111 Equipment/Sanitation 7 09-22-2014 06:44 PM
Aeration Wand - Help Me Get Gunk out of the tube! BrewThruYou Equipment/Sanitation 8 01-04-2013 11:59 PM
ID this gunk please OregonBrews Equipment/Sanitation 3 08-09-2010 01:10 AM
Better Bottle and blowoff gunk winvarin Equipment/Sanitation 7 07-27-2010 01:28 PM
How much gunk? JerD Equipment/Sanitation 1 07-21-2010 01:33 AM


Forum Jump