New way to control Pellet Hop gunk! - Page 45 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #441
scottvin
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Hicksville, NY
Posts: 381
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts


I got a 6x14 and will use it next brew session!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #442
mattwood2000
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Boston, MA
Posts: 20

FedEx just dropped off my new 7.5" x 14" 300 mesh filter! This thing looks great and the metal work is excellent - good welds, no burrs, ground down where it needs to be, etc. Chad, you definitely do nice work! Can't wait to brew...I actually owe one of the guys I work with a brew day so hopefully if the weather holds out I'll test it out this Sunday!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130116_184001.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	94788   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130116_184023.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	94789   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130116_184033.jpg
Views:	893
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	94790   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130116_184057.jpg
Views:	898
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	94791  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #443
BullGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
BullGator's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 307
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood2000 View Post
FedEx just dropped off my new 7.5" x 14" 300 mesh filter! This thing looks great and the metal work is excellent - good welds, no burrs, ground down where it needs to be, etc. Chad, you definitely do nice work! Can't wait to brew...I actually owe one of the guys I work with a brew day so hopefully if the weather holds out I'll test it out this Sunday!
How big is your keggle top opening? Did you have to give him the distance from the outside to the inside of your opening so the hanger support would be the right length?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #444
mcbaumannerb
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
mcbaumannerb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,078
Liked 6139 Times on 3533 Posts


Okay - since I got my screen (300 micron, 6x14) I've only brewed lightly bittered beers. Hadn't really put it to the test until today when I brewed an IIPA with 7.25 ounces in the boil (6.25 pellet & 1 leaf.). I kept a close eye on it, with a vigorous boil (needed to lose some volume anyway.). Halfway through there was pellet scum on top, but as you can see, it was moving:



and by the end with all 7.25 ounces in I could see some evidence of boil just inside the screen. I'll know in a month or so if I have the full 91 IBU in the finished beer, but I feel confident it will be there.

*edit* - needed to fix iPhones "corrections." Also those links are to videos so you can hopefully see what I'm talking about
__________________
Untappd: mcbaumannerb BEEr

Facebook: BEEr

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #445
mcbaumannerb
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
mcbaumannerb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,078
Liked 6139 Times on 3533 Posts


After I pulled the scene out ( I left it in for most of the cool down) I took about a minute for the remaining wort to drip out. It left a tightly compacted amount of spent wort - and when I am finished pitching, I know I can turn the screen upside down in the trash can and give it one tap before it will fall out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2545833825.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	95759

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1833489967.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	95760
__________________
Untappd: mcbaumannerb BEEr

Facebook: BEEr

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #446
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
thadius856's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Marysville
Posts: 2,273
Liked 734 Times on 262 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
Give it a shot. If you don't like it for the boil, it actually works great to strain the wort going into the fermenter and aerate it as well.

I've found my beers clear a bit sooner with not having all the crap in the fermenter. If anything, it's easier to clean the carboys out.
Aerate? How in the world does that work?
__________________
Was this post helpful? Don't forget to click 'Like'!

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #447
FATC1TY
 
FATC1TY's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,615
Liked 141 Times on 114 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Aerate? How in the world does that work?
Put the strainer over a funnel if your use a carboy, or put it over the top of a bucket.

Pour your wort into it. It strains it, and because it's going through the screen, it will break the surface area of the pour into fermenting vessel of your choice. That screen will assist in adding air to your beer if you don't use an O2 set up.
__________________
----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #448
mattwood2000
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Boston, MA
Posts: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGator View Post
How big is your keggle top opening? Did you have to give him the distance from the outside to the inside of your opening so the hanger support would be the right length?

The keggle opening is approximately 10.5 inches in diameter. Didn't get a chance to brew yesterday so I'll have to wait until after this snow storm we're getting here in Boston. On the plus side I just got a line on two 15.5 gallon sankeys so I can start building my all grain setup for 10 gallon batches!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 AM   #449
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
thadius856's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Marysville
Posts: 2,273
Liked 734 Times on 262 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
Put the strainer over a funnel if your use a carboy, or put it over the top of a bucket.

Pour your wort into it. It strains it, and because it's going through the screen, it will break the surface area of the pour into fermenting vessel of your choice. That screen will assist in adding air to your beer if you don't use an O2 set up.
Ah. Gotcha.

Shaking the fermenter vigorously for 45 seconds or 5 minutes with a aquarium stone and air pump gets you to 8 ppm O2 . That's as high as you're going to get without pure oxygen infusion from a tank.

I thought you were saying it somehow got you above that mark. My mistake.
__________________
Was this post helpful? Don't forget to click 'Like'!

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:23 AM   #450
FATC1TY
 
FATC1TY's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,615
Liked 141 Times on 114 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Ah. Gotcha.

Shaking the fermenter vigorously for 45 seconds or 5 minutes with a aquarium stone and air pump gets you to 8 ppm O2 . That's as high as you're going to get without pure oxygen infusion from a tank.

I thought you were saying it somehow got you above that mark. My mistake.
Nah.. Saves the shaking, and strains the wort. Double duty if you care to use it that way.
__________________
----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning gunk in the bottom of bottles jfr1111 Equipment/Sanitation 7 09-22-2014 06:44 PM
Aeration Wand - Help Me Get Gunk out of the tube! BrewThruYou Equipment/Sanitation 8 01-04-2013 11:59 PM
ID this gunk please OregonBrews Equipment/Sanitation 3 08-09-2010 01:10 AM
Better Bottle and blowoff gunk winvarin Equipment/Sanitation 7 07-27-2010 01:28 PM
How much gunk? JerD Equipment/Sanitation 1 07-21-2010 01:33 AM


Forum Jump