New way to control Pellet Hop gunk! - Page 34 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #331
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Liked 929 Times on 681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
I might just have to re do my Citra pale ale, and do it all free in the boil, versus in the screen, and see if there is any difference.
that would be a great experiment, would love to hear about the results.

- Drinking: 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2
- Fermenting: NHCPA (BPA and APA made with ingredients from Baltimore)
- Aging: brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries, sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #332
runningfarmer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Davenport, iowa
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Here is a picture of the system we brew on. Powered by a brewtroller controller, everything else we built.

Click image for larger version

Name:	system.jpg
Views:	981
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	87233  

LabRatBrewer Likes This 
Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #333
marcb
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Santa Clara, CA
Liked 202 Times on 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfarmer
Here is a picture of the system we brew on. Powered by a brewtroller controller, everything else we built.
Flipping awesome!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #334
ScubaSteve
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2007
New Bern, NC
Liked 83 Times on 57 Posts

I think the calculations should be focused on surface area, not volume. If the screen clogs, the volume of wort trapped inside is a moot point (except for the money you spent on the hops!).

I think the 400 is the way to go...no matter the size of the filter.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #335
FATC1TY
Recipes 

May 2012
Atlanta Area, GA
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
that would be a great experiment, would love to hear about the results.
I probably will. I'm cloning Oddsides Citra Pale Ale, and I'm sure I won't nail it on the first try, will change my grist if it's not on before I start playing with the hop additions. I can run the same hop additions.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:52 AM   #336
winvarin
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Edmond, OK
Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve
I think the calculations should be focused on surface area, not volume. If the screen clogs, the volume of wort trapped inside is a moot point (except for the money you spent on the hops!).

I think the 400 is the way to go...no matter the size of the filter.
I was looking at volume primarily as a method get a rough idea of the amount of saturated hops it would hold. If you consider that something with a 1.25 gallon or higher volume, it should be large enough to let the hops expand and still allow the wort to move freely in the strainer and allow it to drain (eventually)

My LHBS stocks mostly pellets. I am concerned the mesh would be course enough on the 400 to let too much of the particulate matter through.

No data to back that up. Just speculation on my part. I use mainly the muslin bags from my LHBS. I wonder where that is on the spectrum compared to the 300 and 400

Old 12-07-2012, 04:18 AM   #337
marcb
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Santa Clara, CA
Liked 202 Times on 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvarin

I was looking at volume primarily as a method get a rough idea of the amount of saturated hops it would hold. If you consider that something with a 1.25 gallon or higher volume, it should be large enough to let the hops expand and still allow the wort to move freely in the strainer and allow it to drain (eventually)

My LHBS stocks mostly pellets. I am concerned the mesh would be course enough on the 400 to let too much of the particulate matter through.

No data to back that up. Just speculation on my part. I use mainly the muslin bags from my LHBS. I wonder where that is on the spectrum compared to the 300 and 400
I started out with a 200 based on my research as to what the fine bags are at the LHBS and I was way off. Based on what I have seen reported I am guessing that 400 is equivalent to the bags. I can authoritatively state that with the 300 I have significantly less hop gunk left in my kettle than with bags and I'm assuming better hop utilization because the bags puff up so much that I wasn't getting good circulation with them although the flow through isn't great with the 300.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #338
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2012
Lake Wissota, Wisconsin
Liked 87 Times on 71 Posts

Just did my first batch with my 4x10" 300 micron pellet basket and it worked great. I only do 2.5gl batches so there wasn't a lot of hops, 1 oz at beginning of the boil and 1oz at flame out. I dumped the bittering hops out of the basket at flame out and added the FO hops in the clean basket. The basket pretty much kept the boil kettle clean of hop sludge. This is going to work out great for my system and I'm working with Chad to build a larger basket for all grain brewing.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #339
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Meridian, ID
Liked 375 Times on 284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee View Post
Just did my first batch with my 4x10" 300 micron pellet basket and it worked great. I only do 2.5gl batches so there wasn't a lot of hops, 1 oz at beginning of the boil and 1oz at flame out. I dumped the bittering hops out of the basket at flame out and added the FO hops in the clean basket. The basket pretty much kept the boil kettle clean of hop sludge. This is going to work out great for my system and I'm working with Chad to build a larger basket for all grain brewing.
pellets or leaf?

extract or all grain?

Old 12-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #340
onshisan
Recipes 

Dec 2012

Ordering one of these for my 5 gal kettle, since my first try with my new dip tube ended with (surprise!) an instant pellet-hop clog when it came time to drain into the fermenter. Pretty excited to give it a shot, and will pot pics of the results.