Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Hop Bags and Timing...

Old 09-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
Tanagra
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Hop Bags and Timing...

So, I have recently purchased a Counter-Flow chiller and the Blichman HopRocket and had a few questions...

For the past several years, I used an immersion chiller and was able to time my hop additions pretty accurately since the time to < 160 was pretty quick using the immersion chiller.

Since I am using the counter-flow chiller, I have noticed that I need to either use whole hops, or put my pellets in a nylon bag to keep the sediment away from the counter-flow chiller. Additionally, I cannot drain my kettle too quickly, as the resulting wort only cools to about 90F - to compensate for this, I drain the kettle more slowly.

Now my question...

If I use a nylon hop bag for a 5 minute hop addition (for example), can I simply PULL the hop bag out at flameout and the hop characteristic will stay at the 5 minute level even though it might take me 15 minutes to drain and cool all of my wort, or will that 5 minute hop addition turn into a 20 minute addition for the majority of the wort since most of my wort will remain at near-boiling temperatures waiting to be passed through the chiller?

I guess my question, more simply put, is this: Does near boiling (210) wort change the characteristic of the hop bitterness, flavoring, and aroma of the WORT over time if the actual hops are not being steeped in it?

Thanks!

- John

Old 09-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
Rhaop
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 6

my cousin and I just started using a counter flow chiller and have noticed the same thing, i got quite the punch from a flameout addition to an amarillo smash i made, that was great for me but non hop head types was a bit much for them till a few weeks into the keg, i bet i over shot ibus by at least 15-20 but thats a geussimation lol

Old 09-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
Tanagra
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I assume you didnt pull the hops out and that is why the bittering continued past the times you intended? (I assume a flame-out addition would be a quick 'dunk' into boiling wort and then removing since the wort wouldnt immediately be cooled.)

Old 09-06-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
Rhaop
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 6

yeah when we used a immersion chiller we waited 5min to start the chiller, i geuss it slipped our minds about the difference in counterflow chilling since we are usally buzzed by the end of the boil

edit: and actually to me it wasn't as much a bittering but more of a flavor punch to my tastebuds maybe perceived different by the bmc'ers