Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Brewing with Dr. Pepper

Old 09-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
uberlad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing with Dr. Pepper

Hey all,

I just brewed a Brown Ale with Dr. Pepper over the weekend (calling it Doc Brown Ale... eh? EH???), and had a few questions pop up.

I put a 20oz bottle in the boil 15min before flameout, and added another 20oz bottle a day into the primary. I tried to make the DP that went into the primary flat by opening the bottle *just enough* the day before to let the carbonation escape, but not expose the soda to any air.

Everything looks like it's going well at this time, but I noticed when I added the bottle to the primary the beer foamed up like crazy (despite the bottle being kind of flat). My question is this: does carbonation (or any of the other chemicals in the DP) do any harm to the beer?

Like I said, everything looks good so far. No complaints... just curious more than anything.

Side question: this is also the first time I'm using WLP005 (British Ale). Does British Ale not develop a krausen layer like other ale yeasts? I had a crazy 4-5 inch thick krausen layer on my last brew (WLP001, I believe), so I might just be sensitive to seeing the krausen this time around.