George Washington's beer - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > George Washington's beer

Old 09-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
petie
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Rumsey, KY
Liked 93 Times on 61 Posts

My buddy gave this to me today and wanted me to figure it out so he could make it. It don't look to tasty to me. It's supposedly Washingtons recipe from mt Vernon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2274265311.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	74461  

Old 09-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Lancaster, CA
Liked 333 Times on 205 Posts

Sounds disgusting, but you're welcome to brew up 30 gallons of it and try it out if you can figure out what a sifter full of bran grain is.

bellmtbbq Likes This 
Old 09-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
dfc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Chandler, AZ
Liked 229 Times on 181 Posts

1 gallon molasses to 10 gallons of beer and a 3 hour boil with no grains? That's definitely interesting. I'd love to read about someone trying it.
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 09-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
dfc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Chandler, AZ
Liked 229 Times on 181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
Sounds disgusting, but you're welcome to brew up 30 gallons of it and try it out if you can figure out what a sifter full of bran grain is.
It's bran hops though. No grain...
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 09-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Lancaster, CA
Liked 333 Times on 205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
It's bran hops though. No grain...
Huh, didn't notice that on the first read. A Google search for "bran hops" only turns up people talking about that recipe.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
CJLong
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Cocoa, FL
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm pretty sure in "Radical Brewing" Randy Mosher worked out the recipe so you could make it. If I recall correctly, he said it would make a rather poor beer, but if you really want to make it, I'd look at that book.

Pappers_ Likes This 
Old 09-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #7
petie
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Rumsey, KY
Liked 93 Times on 61 Posts

It sounds pretty nasty to me. My buddy I asked me about it and I told him I'd find out. I ain't gonna make it.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:50 AM   #8
zeg
Recipes 

Jan 2012
West Lafayette, IN
Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts

Sounds like a decent recipe if you are in a bind. Works out to be in the 'ordinary bitter' territory alcohol-wise, so looks plausible. Maybe I'll try a 1-gallon batch some time.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
kanta
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It could be that there is a missed period between Bran and Hops. When you crush your grain, it looks similar to bran, with the husks all open, right? Then flavor with "Hops to your taste". A sifter varies in size, but think a screen-bottomed wooden framed device used to separate grain from flour...there are a few antique grain sifters on ebay that look like they could hold over 20 lbs of grain at once without a problem.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
zeg
Recipes 

Jan 2012
West Lafayette, IN
Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanta View Post
It could be that there is a missed period between Bran and Hops. When you crush your grain, it looks similar to bran, with the husks all open, right? Then flavor with "Hops to your taste". A sifter varies in size, but think a screen-bottomed wooden framed device used to separate grain from flour...there are a few antique grain sifters on ebay that look like they could hold over 20 lbs of grain at once without a problem.
Perhaps... I thought that at first, but then calculated the OG based just on the molasses. It's spot on for a "small beer," and since there's no mashing step, it seems unlikely that the beer would get better from boiling a bunch of grain for 3 hours. Plus, hops seems like something that would be "to taste," whereas grain would normally be a fairly set quantity.

Though, thinking about it again, I guess maybe it's being used as a specialty grain, and perhaps extracted tannins would improve a beer that's otherwise a sickly sweet molasses mead.